PDA

View Full Version : G100/PC - back-and-forth or orbital?

Alfisti
Sep 15th, 2004, 06:26 AM
While I'm waiting for the two G100's to arrive from the US, I'd like to clear something up.

Most websites/forums I've researched including Porter Cable own state that its a Random Orbit machine - superior to all the others, but still a RO machine.

Some sites state similar to Megs site, " this variable-speed, dual-action polisher operates with alternating back-and-forth motions that mimic the sensation of hand polishing."

Not critisizing, just confused - back-and-forth or orbital?

Can anyone shed light? :(

Mike Phillips
Sep 15th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Hi Alfisti,

The Porter Cable unit oscillates, that is it moves in a circular motion and a orbital motion at the same time. Regardless of everything you can read, what's most important is when you get one into your hands and start using it. You will learn very quickly that the G-100, (PC in forum lingo), will produce professional results not attainable by hand.

Mike

Alfisti
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks Mike. :xyxthumbs
Can't wait for the PC's to arrive. I've been told it'll be just over a week. :db:

I think I'll have a lot more questions then. :D :D

Don
Sep 16th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Alfisti
While I'm waiting for the two G100's to arrive from the US, I'd like to clear something up.

Most websites/forums I've researched including Porter Cable own state that its a Random Orbit machine - superior to all the others, but still a RO machine.

Some sites state similar to Megs site, " this variable-speed, dual-action polisher operates with alternating back-and-forth motions that mimic the sensation of hand polishing."

Not critisizing, just confused - back-and-forth or orbital?

Can anyone shed light? :(

Imagine the moon revolving around the earth while the earth revolves around the sun. That's the basic pattern of a R/O off the car.

When the pad is applied to the car, the "moon orbit" alternates between 'back and forth' and 'circular' motions, while the "earth orbit" remains circular.

Does that make things clear as mud?

Alfisti
Sep 16th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Don
Does that make things clear as mud?
Yes it does! LOL

Actually, thats an excellent illustration. You addressed, in part, the back-and-forth aspect, as well. I read somewhere that when about 1 pound of pressure is applied to the PC, the "moon" orbit changes from circular to back-and-forth - in harmony with what you described.

Is my understanding correct? :)

Don
Sep 16th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Alfisti

Is my understanding correct? :)

I hope so, since that's the way I understand it. ;)