PDA

View Full Version : Life Span of backing plate

kev4bama
Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering what is the lifespan of a meguiars backing plate for the G-100? Will it typically go through several pads? Also when putting the backing plate on the G-100, once the backing plate stopped on the spindle from hand turning I gave it an extra little tug, should this be sufficient to keeping the backing plate in place and will I need to check it or retighten it every so often?

Kevin

scrub
Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Its me again.

1. I was wondering what is the lifespan of a meguiars backing plate for the G-100? Almost one year and no problems.

2. Will it typically go through several pads? Not sure about the question. Like literally go through the pad not normally.

3. Also when putting the backing plate on the G-100, once the backing plate stopped on the spindle from hand turning I gave it an extra little tug, should this be sufficient to keeping the backing plate in place and will I need to check it or retighten it every so often? I have yet to tighten or snug up my backing plate after the initial installation.

kev4bama
Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks Again Scrub!

What I meant about the second question is will it last long enough that I will probably wear out a few 8006 pads before I will the backing plate!

DETLMAN
Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:46 AM
You should be able to wear out many many pads before you have to replace your backing plate. I have one plate that is probably 3 years old and has gone through a couple dozen pads.

wblynch
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM
My Meguiar's backing plate lasted about 5 car's worth of detailing.

The velcro won't hold a pad any longer. If I pick up the machine from the car, the pad will fall off. It does grip it good enough to work, I just have to be careful when lifting the machine from the car.

I need to buy another one but I'm afraid the next Meguiar's backing plate won't last any longer than the first.

It could be I just got a bad one so I'll probably buy one more and give it a try.

KTruck
Mar 11th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Hi:

Can not speak for Meguiar's.

Call customer service and they will help you. Apparently some plates have a problem holding the pad for some reason.

Regards,

KTruck