PDA

View Full Version : Jeep top

limeking
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Can I use the headlight restoration kit on the soft windows? I have 2 Jeeps and one the windows are pretty bad.

Murr1525
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Do you mean a soft top?

Trying PlastX in a corner for a test spot would be ok. Not sure about the drill attachment.

limeking
Apr 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I have been using the mirror glaze stuff on the TJ soft top windows but its not doing much for the YJ. The previous owner used an ice scraper on the windows and I was wondering if the buffing wheel would make a difference.

Michael Stoops
Apr 11th, 2012, 08:18 AM
The wool pad from the headlight restoration kit, and the PlastX as well, can certainly be used on plastic windows like those found on Jeep soft tops and many convertible tops. If that previous owner put some fairly deep scratches in the plastic with an ice scraper those might not come out with this process, or any other process for that matter. Since you do need to put a bit of pressure against the surface being corrected, it's a good idea to have a helper hold something solid against the inside of the plastic window to give it some support. Wrapping an appropriately sized piece of plywood in a soft towel works well, or a big coffee table art book similarly wrapped to protect the inside of the plastic.