PDA

View Full Version : cleaning your pads when using PC

SprintKing
Apr 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM
its obviously no problem when using a rotary buff - just get the toothbrush out and remove the product.

But with a PC how do u guys clean your pads?
Since if you operate the PC without surface contact the pad usually flies off!
At the moment i just change to another pad and put the dirty pads on the rotary later and clean them that way.

any suggestions to make this an easier process?? :wall:

wblynch
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I don't know if you can get it there, but I use Hoover's Deep Steam Carpet Cleaning solution.

It's meant for those in-home carpet machines.

People think I'm nuts but I rinse my foam pads with a couple of ounces of this and they come clean instantly. I rinse them in the sink, gently wring them out and lay them out to dry.

I haven't had any problems with the solution damaging the foam pads.

It also works for the foam wax applicator pads.

Be careful and try it on an old pad first in case anything goes wrong.

Take care, Bill

mike_svt
Apr 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I've had good luck with Dawn dish soap and a bucket of warm water. I add some soap to the bucket and directly to the pad itself, then I fill the bucket up with water. A little pad agitation doesn't hurt either. Finally, I rinse the pad and let it air dry. I still have the original 3 pads I purchased w/ my PC last year, and they look as good as the day that I bought them!

SingingSabre
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I put some car wash soap into my sink and put my pads in there. I get them saturated and squeeze them out until they're clean. Then I pull them out, rinse with clean water, layer between two mf towels and wring the towels to dry.

RamAirV1
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by mike_svt
I've had good luck with Dawn dish soap and a bucket of warm water. I add some soap to the bucket and directly to the pad itself, then I fill the bucket up with water. A little pad agitation doesn't hurt either. Finally, I rinse the pad and let it air dry. I still have the original 3 pads I purchased w/ my PC last year, and they look as good as the day that I bought them!

I went to the store to try and find the Dawn Power Plus formula and they were out of it! Either a lot of detailers are cleaning their pads or getting ready for a pre-Zaino car wash! The Power Plus does clean the pads more quickly. I would never use it on a painted surface.

RamAirV1

Lt1Corvette
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Bucket, warm H20, dawn. Rinse when done.

Mike M
May 7th, 2005, 09:15 PM
would hot tap water be ok, or would it damage the velcro?

Don
May 8th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Murphy's Oil Soap, garden hose, rotary (for faster drying)

cafemoc
May 18th, 2005, 09:14 AM
One of pad got mushy when I tried to clean with car wash soap. All other pads are fine. It seems like pad absorbed too much wax or something.
How can I clean mushy pad?
I am using this pad for WAX(NXT) only.

Thank you.

gb387
May 18th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by cafemoc
One of pad got mushy when I tried to clean with car wash soap. All other pads are fine. It seems like pad absorbed too much wax or something.
How can I clean mushy pad?
I am using this pad for WAX(NXT) only.

Thank you.

When I wash my PC pads I use some Dish soap like Dawn in the sink by hand... Reason is it cuts grease or wax in this case. An automotive wash will not cut wax through the wax as it is designed to make your car look good and keep any coat of wax on the car.

If your pad has alot of NXT in it you may have to apply some soap straight to the pad and rub it in.

Make sure you rinse all the soap out of the pad this may take several rinses... let it air dry.

SVT Lightning
May 18th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by gb387

If your pad has alot of NXT in it you may have to apply some soap straight to the pad and rub it in.

Make sure you rinse all the soap out of the pad this may take several rinses... let it air dry.

I do the same thing.....works great every time.

AutoNova
May 18th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I use the washing machine with hot water some tide clear and a couple TBLS of APC.

cafemoc
May 18th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Thank you for the tip.
I applied dishwashing liquid to mushy pad, rub really good, after rinse with water, pad became pad again :xyxthumbs
I was way too gentle to clean pads, and car wash soap didn't clean wax soaked pads.

Don
May 19th, 2005, 01:20 AM

That's why I use the Murphy's, it cuts the wax AND is very easy to rinse out of the pads

SVT Lightning
May 19th, 2005, 10:03 AM
The trick with Dawn (since it is ULTRA concentrated) is to only use a few drops.....a little goes along way and will rinse clean much quicker versus drenching the pad with soap.

DICEPT
May 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Simple, I rinse em in the sink with Dawn then throw em in the washing machine with the rest of my car stuff. Been doing it for years and it works great.

RamAirV1
May 21st, 2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Don
Murphy's Oil Soap, garden hose, rotary (for faster drying)

How much quicker do they dry when you spin them on the rotary? That sounds like a great idea. If you don't do that, it takes days for them to dry.:wall:

RamAirV1

Don
May 21st, 2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by RamAirV1
How much quicker do they dry when you spin them on the rotary? That sounds like a great idea. If you don't do that, it takes days for them to dry.:wall:

RamAirV1

On a warm summer day, the time is measured in minutes especially if you lay them in the sun

zey
Jun 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I run my washed pads on rotary at 2000rpm for 1 minute. And the pad will take 30 mins. to dry up completely with a room temperature of 30 degrees celcius.

RamAirV1
Jun 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by zey
I run my washed pads on rotary at 2000rpm for 1 minute. And the pad will take 30 mins. to dry up completely with a room temperature of 30 degrees celcius.

Does water sling all over the place when you do this? I would be a good way to cool off in the hot summer weather.:D

I don't have a rotary yet. I imagine it would be pointless to try this with a PC.

RamAirV1

RamAirV1
Jun 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by zey

Does water sling all over the place when you do this? I would be a good way to cool off in the hot summer weather.:D

I don't have a rotary yet. I imagine it would be pointless to try this with a PC.

RamAirV1

RamAirV1
Jun 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by SVT Lightning
The trick with Dawn (since it is ULTRA concentrated) is to only use a few drops.....a little goes along way and will rinse clean much quicker versus drenching the pad with soap.

This is very true! I tried this and the pads do rinse more quickly. Thanks for the tip!

RamAirV1

zey
Jun 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by RamAirV1

RamAirV1

RamAirV1, I do it outside the garage, hold it close to the ground, start it at the lowest speed so that most of the water is dispersed. After that, I switch it to 1500rpm so that water which are trapped deep inside the foam is all dispersed.

rusty bumper
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I like what Don uses (Murphy's), except that I wash them gently in the sink.

I also like to use DFTowels suggestion of using white vinegar to do the final rinse with, as the vinegar will cut through and remove all traces of soap, or detergent.

After gently squeezing the water out, I then flatten the pads out on a thick towel and let them air dry. But it does take a while for the pads to air out that way.

I only wash my pads about 2 or 3 times a year though. At other times, I like to use a stiff toothbrush on them when I'm in the middle of a detail...........This works great to remove any surface dirt, or partly dried up product residue.

corvetmike
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
I must be doing something way wrong because after I have washed, rinsed and let dry, the velcro is messed up. They don't stick to the backing plate very good after I have washed mine. Maybe I was a little too aggressive when wringing the water out of them?

rusty bumper
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by corvetmike
I must be doing something way wrong because after I have washed, rinsed and let dry, the velcro is messed up. They don't stick to the backing plate very good after I have washed mine. Maybe I was a little too aggressive when wringing the water out of them?
Try gently handwashing them in the sink.

ebpcivicsi
Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by zey
RamAirV1, I do it outside the garage, hold it close to the ground, start it at the lowest speed so that most of the water is dispersed. After that, I switch it to 1500rpm so that water which are trapped deep inside the foam is all dispersed.

I place mine in a bucket while I am spin drying them...cuts out all of the messy sling.

Carrera
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:49 AM
If I am correct, Meguiar's recommends that you don't wash the pads. Just clean them whith something like a terry cloth, and use the same pad only for the same product.

Lanevoboi757
Aug 4th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Carrera
If I am correct, Meguiar's recommends that you don't wash the pads. Just clean them whith something like a terry cloth, and use the same pad only for the same product.

Thats exactly what I thought.

Can someone clarify this?

rusty bumper
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Carrera
That's correct.

rusty bumper
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Lanevoboi757
Thats exactly what I thought.

Can someone clarify this?
Meguiars does not recommend that their pads be washed, and they also recommend that you use a dedicated pad for each product.

There's always a possibility that the velcro backing can come off if the pad is washed, but some of us have washed them with no problems.

I don't recommend washing them very much myself.

zey
Aug 4th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Please let me add that if the product is soaked deep inside the pad, it'll be harden in long term and cause marring if the pad is not washed. The terry cloth towel and brush could only clean up the surface. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

rusty bumper
Aug 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by zey
Please let me add that if the product is soaked deep inside the pad, it'll be harden in long term and cause marring if the pad is not washed. The terry cloth towel and brush could only clean up the surface. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've never experienced anything like that myself.

Due to the porous nature of the pad, any product deep inside of it should dry out to a powder like state, IMO.

But I have seen a pad saturated with a pure polish, or maybe a wax feel kind of gummy after it's been used over & over without washing them.

cafemoc
Aug 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Rusty Bumper

But I have seen a pad saturated with a pure polish, or maybe a wax feel kind of gummy after it's been used over & over without washing them.
As soon as my pads get gummy, I change pad. I am wondering if gummy pad doesn't work as good as fresh pad?
I've seen people continue to use gummy pads, but I am just curious....
I always thought fresh pads work better for polishing paint.

rusty bumper
Aug 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by cafemoc
I always thought fresh pads work better for polishing paint.

I guess a fresh pad is better to work with, but I haven't had any problems with using a gummy pad to speak of.

The W-9006 pads are rather easy to gum up with product IMO.

RamAirV1
Aug 7th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I have good results scrubbing the pads with a soft bristle brush, like a toothbrush. This removes enough gumminess that the pad works a lot better. I have never had marring using this method.

I procrastinate and don't always clean the pads like I should, so sometimes I wind up either washing them by hand in Dawn, or just getting a new pad.

RamAirV1