PDA

View Full Version : Removing Oxidation using PC and ???



TKDDAD
Jul 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Don't know if it's possible, but I have a car I"m going to detail this weekend that has pretty bad oxidation...I'll post pictures tomorrow so you can see for your self and maybe offer some advice...I have a PC (just came in today :db: ) and a number of products...I have #83 but not #80....ScratchX and ColorX...no real experience using a rotary nor do I have one so it's either PC or hand at this point :wall:

As Mike says, I'm just looking to take this to the best I can do, not perfection....thanks...

Mike Phillips
Jul 12th, 2005, 08:46 AM
You could try this..

1) First machine clean the paint using the M83 DACP
2) Follow this with a machine application of the ColorX

You should use different pads for each product, our W-8006 polishing pads would work best. Use the 5.0 setting when using the dual action polisher.

Should look pretty good when you're done.

Invest your time in the first step, applying the M83, then the ColorX application will build on these results.

Of course wash and clay before machine cleaning, polishing and waxing.

TKDDAD
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Excellent !...thanks so much for the quick response Mike...my friend is dropping the car off on Friday night so I'm going to wash it then, garage it and then clay it on Saturday and then really get to work....he'll be gone fora week and won't believe the difference...I'll post befores and afters...I think I have everything I need...thanks again...

Mike Phillips
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Sounds good, have fun! :)

joenj1
Jul 12th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
You could try this..

Of course wash and clay before machine cleaning, polishing and waxing.

Mike, why is it necessary to clay the car before applying #83? Won't it also remove old wax, etc?

Just trying to save myself some time/elbow grease....

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
Jul 12th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by joenj1
Mike, why is it necessary to clay the car before applying #83? Won't it also remove old wax, etc?

Just trying to save myself some time/elbow grease....

Thanks!

Some bonded contaminants are best removed using clay. If you're machine cleaning paint with bonded contaminants using a cleaner/polish like M83 and one of our foam pads, it's possible for the combination of foam pad and chemical to simply glide over the bonded contaminants instead of kick them off.

Claying actually more or less sands above contaminants off your car's finish. Claying is the optimum way to remove bonded contaminants.

The only exception that I can think of is if you're working on a severely oxidized finish, if this is the case, then use a paint cleaner or cleaner/polish first to remove all of the dead paint and then clay the car; otherwise the dead, oxidized paint will load up in your clay bar needlessly.

TKDDAD
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
The only exception that I can think of is if you're working on a severely oxidized finish, if this is the case, then use a paint cleaner or cleaner/polish first to remove all of the dead paint and then clay the car; otherwise the dead, oxidized paint will load up in your clay bar needlessly.

Mike, this is exactly my situation for this weekend...so instead of claying first, you're suggestion is to use a cleaner/polish first...so I'd use #83, then clay ?...

TKDDAD
Jul 14th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by TKDDAD
Mike, this is exactly my situation for this weekend...so instead of claying first, you're suggestion is to use a cleaner/polish first...so I'd use #83, then clay ?...

Mike, here's a picture of the oxidation for clarification...my plan was to wash, clay, #80, ColorX, NXT....should I use #80 first then clay ?
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/3437oxidation-med.jpg

Mike Phillips
Jul 14th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by TKDDAD
Mike, here's a picture of the oxidation for clarification...my plan was to wash, clay, #80, ColorX, NXT....should I use #80 first then clay ?
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/3437oxidation-med.jpg

Yes.

For heavy oxidation, use a paint cleaner or cleaner/polish first, then do a really good job of wiping-off and removing all the loosened dead paint and your product from the finish, then clay the finish.

After claying the paint, you might want to re-polish the panels you clayed especially if you notice a lot of gunk coming off the paint and into your clay bar. The reason being is any place that bonded contaminants remained, would be places you didn't polish, or at least polish thoroughly.