• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl Marks

I have been using Meguir's Gold Class wax on my 2003 Dodge Ram which is black, unfortunately I have been getting swirl marks which are nearly impossible to buff out by hand. I like to apply and remove wax by hand but the job seems to be getting tough with the swirl mark problem. Do I need to use a buffer applicator machine to get the results I want?

Hi Don,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Light swirls will always be an issue to some degree on paint an the most noticeable on black and dark colors. So at this time in history there is no one-time cure except for ongoing maintenance.

You can remove swirls by hand or machine with the machine option being easier and producing better results faster.

Here are some threads for you to read up on the topic

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Were you trying to use the Gold Class wax to remove the swirls?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Mike,

Can you educate me as why you woul d not suggest #9 Swirl Remover rather than #80/#83 ? What really is the application where #9 is beneficial ?

I am in a similar situation .. truck is 2 months old, washed about 4 times and has swirl marks that you can see at a particular angle when in the sun.

I bought #9 thinking it is specific for the job, but I see most people posting that they use #80/#83 for this.

I plan to apply with DA G100a

Thanks

Comment

No I was not using the Gold Class to remove the swirls, mainly just to wax the vehicle. Like I said I have been waxing by hand and just began to use the meguiars line as it seems to give a blacker shine than the Wax Shop products I was using.

I am interested in trying some power applicators / buffer units. What would you folks suggest?

Comment

I'd start with what you mentioned earlier, the G100.

G100's are really easy to use. I would not reccomend using a rotary until you've had proper instruction.

Comment

Hey swirl-free

Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover is a very mild cleaner that will remove very light swirls. I have found that it tends to work best with the rotary polisher. Meguiar's #80 and the G100 is a much better choice as the #80 is more aggressive and will remove light swirls. In some cases, #83 DACP may be required if 2-3 passes with #80 does not remove the marring.

In either case, start with the #80 then go more aggressive (#83) if need be. If you use the #83, you will need to step back down to #80. Remember to use only one product per pad; do not mix products on the same pad.

Cheers!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Where is the best place to purchase the G100 and a few pads? My local auto shops do not have them. Also what would be a good starting inventory for pads?

Comment

Originally posted by DonC
                  Where is the best place to purchase the G100 and a few pads? My local auto shops do not have them. Also what would be a good starting inventory for pads?
                  Hey,

Meguiar's offers the above products (and MUCH more ) via the internet.

G-100a

Set of 3 pads - WDAV99-B

There are other internet retailers as well. I am sure other members will chime in with suggestions.

Cheers!

Tim

Comment

This may be a stupid question but the G100a will buff as well as apply correct?

Comment

Hey Don,

Never a stupid question!

Yes, the G100 when used with the W-8006 Polishing Pad and the correct product can remove marring and swirls. For the cleaners/compounds, the product is applied and worked in until it is only a light residue. This will ensure that the diminishing abrasives are broken down properly. For these steps, I like to remove the residue with a microfiber towel.

For Last Step Prodicts like waxes and sealants, you apply the product with the G100 and a W-9006 Finishing Pad, allow the recommended set-up time, then remove. For the removal, I like to use a Gold Class microfiber bonnet over a clean W-8006 pad, with the PC set to speed 5. This creates an awesome deep, wet finish.

Here are some helpful links you should take a look at:

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

I hope this helps!

Tim

Comment

Swirl MArks

I had the same problem with the swirl marks on my 97 Black Chevy. Bought Swirl remover #9 and it did the trick. Then used the cleaner wax and everything has been ok since. I also cut down on the Final Inspection. Mine sits alot and just gets dusty so was using alot of that. Oh ! and I do everything by hand, to nervous to try anything else.

Comment

The G-100 is quite safe and easy to use. The only damage you can do is if you drop it onto the car.

But that said, I would always recomend getting the hang of things by hand first, esp if you are a bit nervous.

Comment

Was trying to insert picture, sorry just learning

[I added the photo for you! 2hotford ]

Comment

Might need one more try.. but thats ok

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');