• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing back the red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing back the red

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo. Single stage paint. Red. Fun car to do!

This is what I was starting with. Honestly, it didn't appear as bad as the owner made it out to be. However, the paint on the hood was especially hard and swirled. Unfortunately, the before shot of the hood really doesn't show them. The actual body of the car wasn't too bad though.

I started off with Optimum Polish on the hood (Meguiars polishing pad) but it was real slow go on the swirls so I switched to Optimum's Hyper Compound and a yellow LC cutting pad. Ah! Much better! However, it didn't seem to be removing the oxidation evenly although it remove a lot of swirls. I switched over to Meguiars DACP and a green Propel lite cut pad which really took out the oxidation evenly.

It seems that while most quality polishes and compounds work great on clear coats, Meguiars also excels on single stage paints. I have yet to find another polish manufacturer that can match Meguiars on single stage finishes. I think the combination of diminishing abrasives and trade secret oils are the key to single stage paint. As well as Optimum removed swirls, it couldn't touch DACP in removing oxidation evenly and leaving a superior wet finish.

This is after HC and the first pass with DACP:

I then polished out the rest of the car with DACP and the green Propel pad, then followed with Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze and a Meguiars polishing pad. As you can see by the movement of the sun, I spent quite some time polishing.

With this first shot, I tried to get the sun where it was in the first two pics:

This is where the sun actually was:

After finishing it off with Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax:

Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Here I have polished the door with DACP and the fender is untouched.

Finished shots:

I think this car came out as deep and wet as anything I have done. I am really happy with how it turned out. The owner was too. He also took pics but hasn't sent them yet.

Oh yeah, Meguiars #38 on the spoiler and black rubber. Just unbelievable how rich and black it makes Porsche spoilers look. I detailed a 928 the other day and even the customer's wife commented on how great #38 made the spoiler look. She even asked where to get it so they'd have some on hand.

This shot is my favorite!

Oh yeah, Meguiars #38 on the spoiler and black rubber.

Comment

To sum up,

This:

To this:

Comment

Great job and fantastic shine

Comment

WOW!!! You can really tell the diference in the last 2 pics!!!

Did you do it with a PC or rotary?

Alex
          Mandarina Racing

Comment

Alex-I do all my work via PC. Still debating whether to step up to a Cyclo or a rotary for the newer rock hard paints like Audi's Spies-Hecker and Mercedes PPG CeramiClear.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');