• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older vehicles

So I promised my pops I would do his 72 Ford Ranchero. It is sky blue with some white stripes. It was painted in the late 70's again. Has some scratches and is enamel, no clear.

Didnt really work on older cars like that so what is safe? The paint has some decent scratches, needs some life brought back to it and is dirty.

What do you guys recommend? By hand or machine? What products and what type of pads. I am afraid to compound it that I will strip the paint. The car was a CA car until 5 years ago and is now garage kept in PA. Not a spec of rust or any oxidation. Pretty nice 351 in it.

Great truck!

I have fond memories of hanging out with one of my best buds in college, cruising around in his. He had this terrific huge white fluffy dog that loved to ride in the cab with us.

Anyway, Meguiar’s always recommends evaluating the paint first, before deciding on a product/process, then always choosing the least aggressive product/process that will get the job done. That usually involves some experience, a guess as to a starting point and a test spot to see what works. Once you’ve tested a process in a small area and find it works you repeat it over the whole car.

I will practically always reach for a machine first if the finish needs any restoration. For me that would be a G100. I would only go to a rotary if I found I needed to. If you intend to stick with a rotary you’ll want to start with a very mild product like #9 or #82 cleaner/polishes or a cleaner/wax like #6 (or possibly #66 but it may be a bit too aggressive as a starting point).

That’s after washing and claying of course.

PC.

Comment

Great. I havent really used any Meguiars yet and I signed up here because I am going to swiych my product line. I am going to stock up and do a few test areas.

Comment

Re: Older vehicles

Originally posted by kboxer
        So I promised my pops I would do his 72 Ford Ranchero. It is sky blue with some white stripes. It was painted in the late 70's again. Has some scratches and is enamel, no clear.

Didnt really work on older cars like that so what is safe? The paint has some decent scratches, needs some life brought back to it and is dirty.

What do you guys recommend? By hand or machine? What products and what type of pads. I am afraid to compound it that I will strip the paint. The car was a CA car until 5 years ago and is now garage kept in PA. Not a spec of rust or any oxidation. Pretty nice 351 in it.
        This is off topic but just thought I'd say I LOVE 72/73 Rancheros! I had a 73 up until a few years ago. How about some posting pix when you're done with it.

Mike
        Extreme Clean Auto Detailing
        ...taking auto detailing to the Extreme!

Comment

Well I just stocked up today. I bought #80, #82, #5 and #20. I also have tech wax and 3m compound on hand if need be. Made a call to Meguiars and they said the 80 is usually agressive enough and if not the 82 should be. I am not working with anything wetsanded so they said I should not need any of the diamond cut or other compound products. I also bought 2 8000 and 2 9000 series pads.

I am pretty pumped.

Comment

Correction bought the 83 not 82

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');