• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Oh its black.
    And no signs of clear coat failure at all. I got pictures in about 5 mins.

The pads im going to show you is when i bought Scratch X and i wanted to try it so i shot some quik detailar on the section and wiped it off. When i clayed and everything, the pad showed up somewht the same. I got pics of the car also
    Meguiars=FTW

HMD - 2nd Year & Running Strong

Comment

Last edited by Hoffmann21; Jul 16, 2008, 10:58 PM. Reason: pics to large
      Meguiars=FTW

Comment

Looks like you have a single stage paint so the pigment you're seeing on your applicator pad is normal and perfectly okay.

To contrast... if you were to do the same things with the same paint care products to a clear coated car you would also be removing paint and getting it on your applicator pads except you wouldn't see it because it's clear... but it's still there.

Actually, in most cases, single stage black paints are the easiest to remove defects out of, at least easier than most clear coat finishes.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

its like a 2003 or 02 Lexus RX300, how does it not have a CC? im confused.
          Meguiars=FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffmann21 View Post
            its like a 2003 or 02 Lexus RX300, how does it not have a CC? im confused.
            Some car manufactures don't use a clear coat type paint on all their cars. You can confirm this by joining ClubLexus and asking over there.

Also, some finishes have a tinted clear coat, so you can pull some color or pigment that way too...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Alright cool. Do i have to switch pads when it gets that dirty?
              sorry for the OT post.

I will ask them
              Meguiars=FTW

Comment

It good job, Today i buy ScratchX
                9S'Detailing Thailand

Comment

I don't know if this has been covered, but I figured this is the best thread to ask in. I searched on two different forums so far not including this one (autopia.org, and a local Euro car owner website). But I recently received some slight scratches on my car, they are still extremely smooth nothing deep, more like scuffs I guess you can say. So after researching it seems like scratchX is the best place to start.

But the question is for the life of me which I cannot seem to find out is. What exactly is considered the right technique, and apply w/ 'passion'. TBH if you guys held detailing classes in Northern Cali Bay Area region, I'd go in a heart beat btw. But from what I've gathered, I know it's wash and scratchX to just the area you want to correct right?

But do I use a clay bar before scratchX, or is that not advised since I am only doing a small portion of the car? Also people say apply w/ foam pad, then wipe off? Is that wipe off w/ a Microfiber buffing towel, or w/ a buffing pad, or do they mean wipe off 'excess' w/ the current foam pad?

Lastly, I understand scratchX is not a protectant or rather sealant/wax, so what would you guys recommend to top it off? Do I just go directly to a sealant/wax, or should I put on some form of pretreatment; or is that not recommended since I am only going to do a small portion of the car?

Also is it recommended to bluetape just the portion you're working around so you don't get confused when putting scratchX and than the sealant/wax?

Oh ya btw, I am extremely new to the site, but have been looking around the last few days, the work that people show here is awesome!

Comment

i have severe contamination from the sun in spots,what product should i use to buff these out only in sots here an there!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gregory View Post
                      i have severe contamination from the sun in spots,what product should i use to buff these out only in sots here an there!!!!
                      You will probably get the best help if you are able to start a new thread, and put in a couple pics of these spots.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

On the bottom of the forum homepage there are pictures that show you how to,

Start a new thread...

If you want to start a new thread, then click to the appropriate forum by clicking here and selecting the forum that best describes what your topic will be about and then look for the button on the left hand side of the page that says, New Thread and click on it. You'll see a place to type in your Subject and below that a message box that you can type your message into. After you're finished with your message, click on the Submit New Thread button and your message will be posted to the forum.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

ill try and keep it brief, i have checed forums without success...
                          so here goes, i have a vw bora need to keep it clean and want a stunning finish.
                          i need to buy new meguairs products
                          i have clay and quick detailer, but am waiting on 7 show car polish, 26 or 16 wax, scratch x to remove swirls plast x for dull headlights. this will all be done by hand as i have no machinebuffer. question is, i dont seem to know best way to start? should i use deatailer and clay before scratch x or after and then show car no.7 then 26 and then 16? some assistance in the best order to use these products would help. i need to clean car remove the scratches and then polish up to a deep glossy shine. help greatly recieved the order and what to use.

Comment

Best order to start is:
                            0) wash the car
                            1) Quick detailer + clay
                            2) Scratch X
                            2B) PlastX for the headlights
                            3) Car polish #7
                            4) Wax #16 or #26

Have fun!
                            NXToholic

Comment

Btw: be sure to use a applicatorpad for each product and use a supreme shine microfiber for wiping off.
                              NXToholic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                                How to use ScratchX by hand to remove swirls, scratches and water spot etchings

How to use ScratchX by hand to remove defects like these,
                                1. Scratches
                                2. Swirls
                                3. Bird Dropping Etchings
                                4. Water spots
                                5. Scuff and Mars

++ = Success!

A couple of important notes to consider,

1) Clear coats are harder than traditional paints. This means they are more difficult to remove defects out of, especially by hand. This is part explains the increase in popularity of the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.

2) ScratchX is not a wipe-on, wipe-off product, (WOWO), it's more of a wipe-on, work-in product, (WOWI). You need to apply with a clean foam applicator pad and when you're applying it you need to put a little passion behind your pad.

Here is how to remove a bird dropping etching or an isolated scratch.
                                1. Only work a small area at a time - about 6 inch by 6 inch area or smaller
                                2. You can apply using a combination of circular motions and straight-line motions
                                3. Work the product against the finish until it looks as you have almost run out of product.
                                4. Re-apply the product and repeat the above steps 2-3 more times

When I apply ScratchX like I have listed above, I am able to get out about 95% of a bird dropping etching or isolated random scratches.

The trick is to work the product in until it just begins to disappear and to apply more than one application. You see, the ScratchX, like all Meguiar's Paint Cleaners, contain a diminishing abrasive, as you work ScratchX in, the microscopic diminishing abrasives gently abrade the surface removing small particles of paint. But as you work it in, these diminishing abrasives breakdown. Thus, they quit abrading the finish and actually polish the finish to a clear, high gloss. This diminishing action turned polishing action is a benefit to you because it enable you to work out defects without leaving scratches behind.

Because the diminishing abrasive breakdown, you need to re-apply and repeat the process until the defects are removed.

Note: You can rarely remove a bird dropping etching, or a scratch, from a clear-coated finish with one application.

"A little technique goes a long way"

ScratchX works, if you work it. It takes a little practice to get the hang of removing defects out of modern clear coats with hi-tech products like ScratchX. It' not like the old days with a traditional lacquer or enamel paint job where you could apply some old-fashioned rubbing compound and in a few passes, the scratch would be gone, (and so would a lot of your paint).

High gloss clear coats are thin delicate surface coatings that are easily dulled and easily scratched. Once they are dulled down and/or scratched, it takes the right product, the right technique together with the human element of care and passion to massage them back to a glistening gemstone.

Have patience, and if at first you don't succeed, try try again.
                                Really awesome tips:
                                It will help a lot.
                                thickness concept is awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');