• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wax on Gelcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Wax on Gelcoat

Is there a major difference between wax for cars and wax for fibreglass gelcoat?
    I have an old dinghy with dried faded gelcoat. There are many meguiars car wax products in the local shop but nothing specifically for Gelcoat restoration. I know there is a Meguiars gelcoat wax product but is there anything wrong with using car wax on gelcoat?

Re: Car Wax on Gelcoat

I'm sure someone else nkows more about the differences in the auto and marine line, but I have used both on fiberglass, and the auto stuff does work. I used the medium cut cleaner on my Laser and it worked quite well, and I've always waxed it with # 26. While the marine line is probably better suited to gelcoat, I don't think the auto stuff will do any damage (It hasn't in my experience)

Glenn
    Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

Comment

seanjf, you can use Meguiar's products that are designed for clear coat on a gel coat surface. The main disadvantage to using a wax formulated for a clear coat on a gel coat is that the protection may not last as long as you want it to. This is because your average gel coat (18 - 24 mils thick) is considerably thicker and harder than your average clear coat (1.5 - 2.0 mils thick). I Hope that is helpful in answering your question. Let us know if we can be of further assistance, and thanks for being part of the forum.
      Rick McDonough
      Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
      Meguiar's Inc.
      1.800.854.8073 * 3853
      rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick McDonough View Post
        .... The main disadvantage to using a wax formulated for a clear coat on a gel coat is that the protection may not last as long as you want it to. This is because your average gel coat (18 - 24 mils thick) is considerably thicker and harder than your average clear coat (1.5 - 2.0 mils thick).
        Huh?

I'm completely confused.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. As a general rule you want to use products that are formulated for the specific surface that you are working with in order to make the best use of you effort, and maximize your results. A wax that is made to protect a clear coat may not last quite as long if applied to a gel coat surface. I hope that helps clarify what I was attempting to convey...
          Rick McDonough
          Meguiar's Inc.
          1.800.854.8073 * 3853
          rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

So, it has nothing do do with the thickness of the gelcoat vs. paint, right?

Comment

You are right, the thickness isn't really a factor with wax. Thickness is more the issue when working with cleaners...
              Rick McDonough
              Meguiar's Inc.
              1.800.854.8073 * 3853
              rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Thanks for the detailed info guys

Comment

Cleaning will definitely work better with the Marine line. Gelcoat is tough stuff to work with......
                  "Now go home and get your shine box"

Billy Batts in Goodfellas

Comment

Originally posted by Rick McDonough View Post
                    Sorry for the confusion. As a general rule you want to use products that are formulated for the specific surface that you are working with in order to make the best use of you effort, and maximize your results. A wax that is made to protect a clear coat may not last quite as long if applied to a gel coat surface. I hope that helps clarify what I was attempting to convey...
                    Hi Rick, can marine products eg #56 or #63 use on clear coat? Will it last longer?

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');