• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you properly detail a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you properly detail a car?

Hey this my first time on this forum and i really like it. The car gets washed regularly every week. This was my method for detailing my mom's car. Its a 2005 Subaru outback sport speacial edition 5 speed and we have a lot of fun with that car anyway back to what I was saying. The color is crystal grey metalic and steel grey metalic. I was going to wash with meguiars deep crystal car wash with a ultra plush wash mitt. Note this is the first time detailing a car and i'm 14 years old. I was going to dry with a microfiber drying towel and then clay with the megs guick clay system. The car does have minor swirls in the paint. I was also going to do the dc 3 system process apply with with megs applicator pads and remove with a seprate microfiber for each. How am I donig so far can I get a little help? I was also planing on doing this by hand don't have g100 yet.

I'll try to post some pics.
    Last edited by SUBARU WRX; Dec 22, 2006, 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Don't forget to rev em high 2005 infiniti fx45, 2005 subaru outback sport se
    2000 ford ranger xlt, 2006 nissan maxima se

Re: How do you properly detail a car?

You pretty much have all the steps down. DC system is good for by hand but you will be sore afterwards. I recommend getting Scratch X and applying that to the areas with more swirls and scratches to save you some trouble. DC system will not remove the somewhat deeper swirls as compared to Scratch X.
    2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
    2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
    1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Comment

Thanks and the swirls aren't that deep so will the dc1 remove most of them or should I just go with scratch x. And can I scratch x the whole car and if I do how long should I let it dry. What should I apply and remove with?

Comment

The Meguiar's three step system should be fine for your first try. You may want to go through all the steps on a small part of the car first.

For example, take a 2' X 2' area of the hood, clay it, then go through the three step process examining the results of each step. That way, you will know how much effort is required for each step.

Make sure you apply a THIN coat of wax and let it dry completely before you wipe it off with that microfiber.

Comment

If the dc1 doesn't remove the swirls then should I go with scratch x? Note the swirls really aren't that deep.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBARU WRX View Post
            Thanks and the swirls aren't that deep so will the dc1 remove most of them or should I just go with scratch x. And can I scratch x the whole car and if I do how long should I let it dry. What should I apply and remove with?
            DC1 does remove swirls but Id keep a tube of Scratch X on the side just incase. They both have the same features basically but Scratch X is a bit more abrasive. Try out DC1 and if you still see some swirls, apply Scratch X in those areas.

Comment

Definately need some ScratchX if you want to remove swirls by hand.

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

If you get addicted and like to detail often, you may also like ColorX. ColorX topped with a pure wax is a great fast two step detail for daily drivers.

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thankyou guys for helping me out to bad can't do it this weekend cause in Philly it's raining. One more qestion is color x like a wax or something?

Comment

I know.. I washed in the rain a couple hours ago to get the mud off my car...

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                    I know.. I washed in the rain a couple hours ago to get the mud off my car...
                    Ive done that a few times and all my neighbors would come outside and just stare at me because they thought I was on drugs or something.

Comment

Hey mur1525 are you in phildelphia because there is a blue 2005 legacy 2.5i sedan thats around king of prussia is that you cause that car is alwaays clean and looking good. If its not you i'm sure yours looks the same.

SUBARU'S ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nah.. not me...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');