• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pad issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pad issue...

Ok, recently I noticed some damage to one of my 8006 pads. I know these pads don't last forever, but this one in particular had only been used once or twice. My concern here isn't necessarily the pad itself, but more likely what ignorant thing I'm doing to cause a pad to degrade so quickly. This pad will be making its trip to the back of the cabinet to "back-up land". I'm just curious what I'm doing wrong before I murder the next unsuspecting pad.

So, defective pad, too much pressure, pad gremlins? Thanks in advance for your input!

-Tony
    "No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." --Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Pad issue...

Are you using a Meguiar's backing plate? I have heard of that happening by using a backing plate that is too large.
    You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusZTS View Post
      Are you using a Meguiar's backing plate? I have heard of that happening by using a backing plate that is too large.
      It's the w64da that came with it.
      "No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." --Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

From the picture, I would guess you are pretty close with your "too much pressure" assessment.
        Not so much the pressure, but where/how you are applying it. It looks like you may tilt the pad and put a lot of pressure on the edges. That would cause the backing plate to more or less "cut" the pad. Try keeping the pad more flat to the surface.
        Charles
        The Rainmaker

Comment

Touching on MaximusZTS post.... Also make sure the pad is centered on the backing plate, you should see a little of the white pad backing all the way around the backing plate when the pad is installed.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

The appearance of the Velcro, (how it's all tatty looking), and saturated with product, together with the cut in the foam looks like what happens when you run the polisher on the 6.0 setting over time. The cutting looks like you're not holding the pad flat and in fact it looks like you're holding the polisher on edge with force.

Meguiar's doesn't recommend using the PC/G100 over the 5.0 setting for a number of reasons, the above are a few.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I noticed the red paint on the pad. After using my G100 I would find it fairly hard to actually remove paint from the car unless the clearcoat was very thin or nonexistent in some parts.

Seems like a lot of pressue and not even passes. I put 15-20lbs. on my pad with 83 and still had no black from my paint on the pad. My arms def. were sore after the whole car was done once, you'd be amazed. Not to mention that if you put much over that the pad can stop spinning altogether and the motor starts to make a struggling sound.

What kinda car are you workin on bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelan View Post
                I noticed the red paint on the pad.
                The red you're seeing on the Velcro on the back of the foam pad is from the dye used to imprint our Meguiar's logo and words.

Chemicals have saturated through the foam, into the Velcro and probably onto their backing plate. The violent oscillating action of the polisher plus pressure, heat and time has caused the red dye to bleed as well as cause the Velcro fibers to look fuzzy the way they do.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

So does that happen to all of them eventually?

Comment

To varying degrees, depends on how the pad is being used, but the answer is yes if you're using the 6.0 setting on the G100/PC
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      The red you're seeing on the Velcro on the back of the foam pad is from the dye used to imprint our Meguiar's logo and words.

Chemicals have saturated through the foam, into the Velcro and probably onto their backing plate. The violent oscillating action of the polisher plus pressure, heat and time has caused the red dye to bleed as well as cause the Velcro fibers to look fuzzy the way they do.
                      Wouldn't it take an excessive amount of product to saturate a pad?
                      Using #83, #82, #80, #9, I don't even come close to a truly wet, saturated pad. Maybe I don't use enough product. Seems to work for me, but maybe more product would be better. Which I really doubt,
                      Charles
                      The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
                        Wouldn't it take an excessive amount of product to saturate a pad?
                        It's pretty safe to say that it's likely that people tend to overuse product versus under-use product, but even if you are using the appropriate amount of product for each section, as you move around a mid-size car working on each square inch of the car, eventually most pads become saturated with product.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I've kept it below speed six, but I'm willing to wager that the culprit here is uneven pressure on the pad (and probably too much pressure, at that).

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');