• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing time for #7 & #26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing time for #7 & #26

I have found a few threads on the curing time for NXT (12 hours) but as I get ready for my spring cleaning project on the mom wagon, kid car, and my 06 GTI cure times for the products allude me.

My plan on all three cars will be to clay, polish with #80, and apply #7. After watching some DVD’s I know not to take all of #7 off at once, wipe and let it skin and that wipe off the remainder. Now If I want to apply 2 coats #26 on top of that how long do I need to wait before I can apply the first coat of #26 without damaging the effects of #7. Then how long should #26 cure before I apply the second coat? I will be topping that off with a final coat of NXT.

The intent is to have #26 provide some depth to the color and the NXT to give it that high gloss finish. We will see how this turns out because after all it will be a weekend outside in the fresh air so if it doesn't work it won't be all that bad.
    ---
    Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Re: Curing time for #7 & #26

No need to wait at all after removing #7, simply go straight to wax. It's the wax that needs to dry.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      No need to wait at all after removing #7, simply go straight to wax. It's the wax that needs to dry.
      Don't you ever sleep!

That is what I thought with respect to #7 but to I treat #26 like a traditional wax that being when it is dry enough to buff it is dry enough to apply the second coat? No bonding like with NXT?
      ---

Comment

Originally posted by cv_soccer View Post
        Don't you ever sleep!

That is what I thought with respect to #7 but to I treat #26 like a traditional wax that being when it is dry enough to buff it is dry enough to apply the second coat? No bonding like with NXT?
        All Meguiar's waxes require a window-of-time to fully dry or cure, that could be minutes to hours there's no way to know at the molecular level when all drying, cross-linking and bonding is absolutely finished, thus a window-of-time answer.

In the real world most of us don't have the liberty of waiting for hours let alone the next day to apply a second coat of wax, I know I don't. So the next best thing is to apply the second coat when you have can and when you have to.

For example last weekend we buffed out this 1956 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud...

After applying the first coat of wax and allowing it to fully dry and then removing it, I waited about 30 minutes and then applied the second coat of wax, during the 30 minute interval clean-up and loading of supplies into my car was wrapped up.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Very nice! What LSP did you use on that?

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            In the real world most of us don't have the liberty of waiting for hours let alone the next day to apply a second coat of wax, I know I don't. So the next best thing is to apply the second coat when you have can and when you have to.

After applying the first coat of wax and allowing it to fully dry and then removing it, I waited about 30 minutes and then applied the second coat of wax, during the 30 minute interval clean-up and loading of supplies into my car was wrapped up.
            As I have three cars to do this weekend it sounds like wax on 1, 2, & 3, wax off 1, 2, & 3 and them repeat the process. Almost forgot, I assume that the 'swipe' test applies to amy 'wax'?

Mike, once again thank you for sharing your information with us.
            ---

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1 View Post
              Very nice! What LSP did you use on that?

RamAirV1
              We used the following process...
              • Wipe down with Quik Detailer
              • Clay with the Quik Clay Kit
              • M84/W-7006/Rotary Buffer for severely scratched areas
              • M80/W-8006/G100 for the entire car
              • M66/W-8006/G100 for first coat of wax
              • NXT Tech Wax/W--9006/G100 for LSP

Took about 8 hours from start to finish. The deck-lid was single stage paint while the rest of the car had a basecoat/clear coat finish. Very nice restoration on this car, you could eat off the engine compartment.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by cv_soccer View Post

I assume that the 'swipe' test applies to amy 'wax'?

Yes, you can use the Swipe Test for all Meguiar's waxes including our spray-on waxes.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');