• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use their Random Orbital for woodworking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use their Random Orbital for woodworking?

I figure since I own a Random Orbital (as well as a rotary) I might as well get full use of it.

Does anyone use it for anything around the house outside of detailing?

I am thinking that I might be able to use it to take a small layer of finish off my dining room table which my kids have drawn on. Same idea as detailing and taking a scratch out, but just buffing out some of the top layer of lacquer or whatever is on top of the wood.

Has anybody done this? If so, what pad and products did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Anyone use their Random Orbital for woodworking?

just get a sanding BP +high grit papers and your good to go.
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Some of our forum members provided some pretty good information in this thread...

Refinishing an old desk?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sneek, was the idea of high (fine grit) sand paper so that it could be like detailing a car, where you are just removing a very minimal layer of the lacquer to get the surface back to clean and smooth? I didn't know if sandpaper of any type would mar the finish.

I wasn't looking to sand the finish down to bare like Mike did in his project.

Actually in doing some searching, I found people online who used car detailing pads and polishes!!! This seemed odd, but may be a route to try since I already have those items ...

Here is a link to people finishing music instruments with the buffer and Meg's products in the 2nd post:

Comment

Yep, last year I re-did the kitchen cabinets. Works great.
          MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');