• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing a Grand National

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing a Grand National

Ok, here's my problem. My best friend has a 1986 Buick Grand National(don't worry I'll show you the motor later). I want to do the best possible job for him. Of course it's black. Where it used to say 3.8 ltr turbo the stickers are off but adhesive is still there. What's the best way to get the adhesive off by hand? And what products do you think I should use to definitely turn this in to the show car it is. Any suggestions would be helpful.

TIA
    Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Try a few of these methods for the adhesive:

1. Clay
    2. Bug and Tar Remover
    3. 3M General Adhesive Remover (I don't know if Meguiar's has one specifically for this)

For the car:

#83 DACP (If you have a PC) - removes swirls and oxidation
    #81 hand polish - smooths surface and creates gloss
    NXT - protection and shine

Black cars are probably the hardest color to perfect. Just have patience.
    I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
    Take the Car Crazy Test

Comment

Aren't you going to replace the emblems? To maintain the stock appearance? Or did your friend pull them off on purpose?

Comment

Trust me, this car is not stock! I want to do the best job that I can, BY HAND! It has a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger cam and lifters, you get the picture, I'm sure. Runs 105 octane at the track and a 12 second quarter(right now anyway). I don't think the emblems really matter at this point. He has taken it to shows and of course there is alot of interest. He has entrusted me with his baby and I plan to do the best possible job. Maybe Mike and or 2hotford can chime in here. How do I use color-x, and do I use it b/4 clay or after? Pics to follow.

TIA
        Andy
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Here's one I did by hand with MPPC, #7, and Gold Class. You could substitute NXT for Gold Class:

This '86 was very stock with about 24k miles on it. For adhesive, I'd use 3M adhesive, tar, and wax remover. It works very well.

You'd want to clay before using a paint cleaner or ColorX, but after washing.
          1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
          2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
          1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

gosh, O miss those body styles!
            2019 GMC Sierra
            1500 AT4

Comment

Thanks guys!

Any other suggestions would be helpful. Aurora yours looks great, I hope I can get the same results.

Andy
              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

with what NewlyCarCrazy suggested.

and you want to wash the car, clay, then use ColorX.

it's hard to suggest just how much work and what products to use without seeing the condition of the paint. like does it have swirl marks that you can see in the sunlight? scratches? oxidization? stuff like that will determine what you could use, and just how much work you'll be doing. if you can get a PC, i'd highly suggest it because it works so much better than by hand, not to mention it saves your arms from wearing out.

that must be one sweet car though.
                Reid

------------------------------------------------

2004 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1 - Do not view in sunny, cloudless conditions.

Comment

not to hijack this thread but how many of those products can be used on factory tint. I have a sticker that I took off my window and it left adheasive and I don't know what to use, i've only been using a tint safe glass cleaner but its not strong enough and i'm afraid that bug and tar will turn it purple. Anyone have ideas.

Comment

What I'll try to do is get some pics of the car and add them to the post.
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Hey

Meguiar's new Detailer Series Body Solvent should do the trick for removing the adhesive!

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hi Andy,

If you want to rub this thing out by hand and take this finish to it's maximum potential, then here's what I would do,

Wash
                        Clay
                        Clean - Meticulously massage each panel out with ScratchX with a foam wax applicator pad
                        Polish - Apply either Deep Crystal Polish, #9 Swirls Remover 2.0, or #81 Hand Polish
                        Wax - Apply two thin coats of NXT Tech Wax If you don't have Tech Wax, then use #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax or Gold Class.

Use your best quality mircrofibers for removing each product.

Your results should be as good as possible by hand as long as you spend your time upfront with the ScratchX removing and improving any swirls, scratches and other defects.

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks everyone. I let you know how we make out. I'll post b/4 and afters, as soon as I get the time to do the car.
                          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');