• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will #80 remove these swirls? Picture inside...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will #80 remove these swirls? Picture inside...

I took me awhile to find a angle to capture the swirls but this is probably the worse of it.

Will #80 take care of these with a W8006 pad? Also for applying #21, can I just apply by hand then use a W9006 pad to remove? Will be using a PC 7424 btw.

Re: Will #80 remove these swirls? Picture inside...

Hey,

That depends on how scratch sensitive the paint is... In other words, if the paint is really hard, then a person may need to use a rotary polisher to remove the swirls. But in the majority of cases, you may be surprised how well the paint will turn out using #80 and the G-100.

Using the G-100 set to speed 5, and a W-8006 polishing pad, work and area the size of 18" x 18". Work the product until it is a light haze and then remove with a quality MF towel. Take a good look at the paint. If there are still swirls, but improvement has been made, do the #80 again. If no improvement has been made, switch to a clean W-8006 pad and use #83 DACP at speed 5, doing the same procedures as above. If that works but leaves a very slight haze, step back down to #80 and polish the spot again.

On that color, I would M09 with a W-9006 pad at speed 4 just to refine the finish. Then top with 2 coats of #21 applied with a clean W-9006 pad, G-100 set to speed 3. Allow the product to set up, perform the Swipe Test to make sure it is ready to be removed, then remove with a clean MF towel or even better, a MF bonnet over a clean W-7006 pad, G-100 set to speed 5.

I hope this helps!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
      Hey,

That depends on how scratch sensitive the paint is... In other words, if the paint is really hard, then a person may need to use a rotary polisher to remove the swirls. But in the majority of cases, you may be surprised how well the paint will turn out using #80 and the G-100.

Using the G-100 set to speed 5, and a W-8006 polishing pad, work and area the size of 18" x 18". Work the product until it is a light haze and then remove with a quality MF towel. Take a good look at the paint. If there are still swirls, but improvement has been made, do the #80 again. If no improvement has been made, switch to a clean W-8006 pad and use #83 DACP at speed 5, doing the same procedures as above. If that works but leaves a very slight haze, step back down to #80 and polish the spot again.

On that color, I would M09 with a W-9006 pad at speed 4 just to refine the finish. Then top with 2 coats of #21 applied with a clean W-9006 pad, G-100 set to speed 3. Allow the product to set up, perform the Swipe Test to make sure it is ready to be removed, then remove with a clean MF towel or even better, a MF bonnet over a clean W-7006 pad, G-100 set to speed 5.

I hope this helps!

Tim
      Will using #9 make a big difference? I just finished picking up #83, 80 and 21 haha. So when using #21, apply via polisher then remove with MF towel? I just edit the post, will be using with a PC 7424.

Thanks, that does help!

Comment

Originally posted by dfw View Post
        I took me awhile to find a angle to capture the swirls but this is probably the worse of it.

Will #80 take care of these with a W8006 pad? Also for applying #21, can I just apply by hand then use a W9006 pad to remove? Will be using a PC 7424 btw.
        What kind of car are you working on? The paint is very pretty. Sorry, pretty was the only descriptive word I could think of. Depending on the paint hardness and clear coat may help with our suggestions for swirl removal.

Andy
        101impala
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
          What kind of car are you working on? The paint is very pretty. Sorry, pretty was the only descriptive word I could think of. Depending on the paint hardness and clear coat may help with our suggestions for swirl removal.

Andy
          101impala
          It's a 07 Civic and thanks! I have heard that the newer Hondas, including mine, have 'soft' paint.

Comment

Originally posted by dfw View Post
            It's a 07 Civic and thanks! I have heard that the newer Hondas, including mine, have 'soft' paint.
            Since you are working on a Honda, and I also have heard the same thing, about the soft paint. Actually, I can attest to it. My wife has an '05 Accord, that Tim has helped me with before. I would follow what he said and let us know the result. It should work.

Andy
            101impala
            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Opps, forgot I still had a bottle of #9 left over! Should I even try to start off with #9 to see if that will take them out first since its cut level is weaker thans #80?

Comment

I've done Honda's NightHawk Black on Accord, Civic & City before. And M80 took off swirls more than that ur picture shown. U can see the Civic I polished at the link below:

http://www.meguiars.com.my/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1921

Comment

Originally posted by bernard78 View Post
                  I've done Honda's NightHawk Black on Accord, Civic & City before. And M80 took off swirls more than that ur picture shown. U can see the Civic I polished at the link below:

http://www.meguiars.com.my/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1921
                  Wow awesome results/work! Would the M80 leave behind any micro marring or haze? Or would it just be a LSP and ready for sealant?

Comment

In most cases, #80 would leave the paint ready to wax.

But some paints need a mild step like #9 to finish up (8006 or 9006 pad, sometimes need to try both), and some people with show cars like to do it as well.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

We need to see some overall photos of the car when you get it done. That paint color is beautiful. What's the name of the color?
                      Scott

Comment

Icic. I'll just pick up another 9006 pad just incase.

edt: I've read #9 has 'fillers' in them that could just cover up

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                          We need to see some overall photos of the car when you get it done. That paint color is beautiful. What's the name of the color?
                          Nighthawk Black Pearl

Comment

Well, fillers are kind of a whole other topic... but to sum it up, anything that is left behind on the paint will fill in swirls. So #80, #9, and any other product that leaves polishing oils behind, and any product that leaves wax behind, will fill in swirls.

The key is that when used properly, the cleaner/polishes have the ability to remove swirls, not just fill them in. So all that is left for the polishing oils and wax to fill in are the natural microscopic imperfections in the paint.
                            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Gotcha Thanks for the help guys.

I might doing it this weekend, but not sure, it's been 30-40mph winds all this week so far and on and off rain. Oh and can't forgot the crazy temps, 70º one day then 30º the next.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');