• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris's keys to the orbital buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris's keys to the orbital buffer

Chris's keys to the orbital buffer

Alright, I thought there should be some sort of guide for the orbital since there are so many written articles about the PC and rotary. So here it goes...

Intro:

Orbitals are a very simple form of a polisher. They are often sold at hardware and auto parts stores with many different brand names and sizes to choose from. Most orbitals can be had for under $40. The main goal of an orbital is to help apply a cleaner, polish, or protectant easier and faster than what a normal person can do by hand. They are often just a single speed and require bonnets to apply the product.

What can I apply with an orbital?

Orbitals can apply all polishes and sealants. However, they can not apply every cleaner. The most agressive cleaner you can use is the new version of M105. Here is a list of cleaners / cleaner polishes you can use with the orbital: M105, M83, M82, M80, M02, DC1, ScratchX, ScratchX 2.0, SwirlX, and Ultimate Compound. Again, ALL polishes and sealants can be applied with an orbital. Do not use M01, M04, M84 and M85 with an orbital. These products require a rotary polisher to break down the abrasives. If you do use these products, you will end up with some form of marring. To remove this marring, use a less aggressive product.

Can I use a Soft Buff pad with an orbital?

No. Orbitals have a PERMANENT BACKING PAD. You must use a Bonnet with an orbital. I will discuss later on how to modify your orbital to use a Soft Buff pad.

What is a Bonnet?

A bonnet is a material that will wrap around the backing pad of the orbital. A bonnet MUST be used apply the product. The permanent backing pad is not meant to come in contact with the paint. There are many types of bonnets available out there: cotton terry, microfiber, foam, and wool bonnets.

Here are the uses for each:
    Cotton terry - this an excellent all around bonnet. You can apply any cleaner, polish or protectant with a cotton terry.

Microfiber bonnets are used to remove a hazed protectant. You can also apply polishes and protectants, but they can also remove the hazed protectant.

Foam bonnets differ greatly in quality. Some are as aggressive as a cutting pad. Please, use caution or just avoid these bonets.

Wool bonnets are not meant for use with an orbital. Even though you can still find them, don't use them. The orbital does not have the power to make use of a wool bonnet. I have seen advertisements on TW products that say you can wool bonnet with a compound. You can use M105 Ultra Cut Compound or Ultimate Compound, but do not use any other compound.

My reccommendation is to pick a bunch of cotton terry bonnets because they can be used for any product and won't break the budget.

How do I modify the orbital to use Soft Buff pads?

As discussed before, orbitals have a permanent backing pad. Soft Buff pads are commonly used with a PC or rotary. They are more effective in applying cleaners and use less product than a bonnet. To make the modification, you need to remove permanent pad. Then apply Velcro stips to the plate itself (the hook or spikey side of the Velcro). It is really an easy conversion, but the results will be worth it. Remember, use only Polishing and Finishing pads. A Cutting pad with a microfiber bonnet can be used to remove the hazed protectant.

What size orbital should I get?

This is one area where it is totally user dependant. When I chose my orbital, I went with a small 7" because the smaller size makes it easier to use around tight spots. Also, I felt that I could work the product in more than with a 10". Larger orbitals are better for applying products if you are in a hurry.

Should I save up and get a PC or buy an orbital now?

The answer to this question really depends on what you are using the polisher for. Do you detail a number of cars? Do you work with damaged paint? If you answered 'yes' to any of the following questions, a PC would be better for your situation. If you are just using the machine to apply a polish or protectant on your car, you probably don't need to buy a PC. Orbitals make applying a product normally applied by hand easier and save time, but they only have the power to correct light defects.

Hope this helps!
    Chris - PorscheGuy997
    Last edited by PorscheGuy997; Mar 15, 2009, 12:05 PM.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Re: Chris's keys to the orbital

Thanks for the timely post about orbitals. My wife's car has never been maintained properly, but is not in bad shape as it is always garaged. There are some swirls and a few scratches. I'm not trying to get it perfect and I can't justify a PC so have been looking at 6" orbital. Most have speeds of 4,000 or 4,400, but I did find one at 3,200. Which would be the best to get?

To remove light swirls and some scratches do you think I should do 83 then 80 or would 2 (assuming you mean Fine Cut Cleaner) then 80 be better? Would these work better with a foam bonnet rather than a cotton terry bonnet?

Comment

Sorry for such a late response... I'll be back in a few hours and I'll reply then.
      Chris

Comment

If I were given the choice of the three orbitals, I would probably pick the one with the highest speed (Opm). That is, if the price is relatively the same.

It is always very difficult to say exactly which product will work for your vehicle. Some paints respond to the least aggressive cleaner, while some won't respond to anything but a rotary. I would purchase three products: #80, #82, and #83. That way, you can find which one works best with your paint.

I will admit... I haven't been keeping up with the orbital bonnets. During the time I was using the orbital, the foams were worthless. I can't tell you what they are now. The cotten terry bonnets seemed to work with everything. Plus, the cost of one foam bonnet was equal to three terry bonnets.
        Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris!! Wasn't trying to rush you--just thought it a better idea to get the response public in case others have the same questions.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');