• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing Question? Start at the top or start on the wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Washing Question? Start at the top or start on the wheels?

Originally posted by Derrickg32069 View Post
    I clean the rims, tires, and wheel wells first then move onto the body and move from top to bottom. Finally after its all done i dress the tires and wheel wells.

exactly the same as I do.

So it's option 2 for me.
    The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf-Strong View Post
      Defiantly option two. I don't use any of the same materials when doing the wheels, so there is no cross contaimination problem for me. I just spray the wheels than use a brush/sponge to clean them, rinse down, and than go from top to bottom.

However, lately I have been doing ONR washes (due to living in an apartment) which means I use some Quick Wheel Detailer (or ONR in a spray bottle) and wipe down the wheels with a dedicated cloth, than proceed to do an ONR wash top to bottom.
      I follow a similar approach. If I do the wheels first, I wash the wheels with soap and but then toss and make a new batch for the rest. With ONR, I do them last but I find ONR is not as good as a car soap on greasy wheels so I use spray on cleaner such as Meg's Wheel Cleaner then scrub.
      Al
      ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

I wash top first and work my way down.

I may change my ways as some of you wash the wheels first.

I guess wash wheels then change water depending on severity of dirt on them eh.

L8R

Aaron
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

If i have alloys then the usually come first but plastic wheel trims usually get done after the car. only started doing wheel arches recently and other peoples cars dont notice (they probably do think we are mad cleaning bits you cant see)

I have a hatchback and the rear gets filth so that is one of the last.

-Alloys and Tyres + Wheel Wells Cleaned (need to get a cheap Microfibre to do these rather than suffer (of a PW and Snowfoam even better))
          -Rinse Car and Spray Wheel Arches (the lip of the arch that holds plenty of dirt and go right round to down and spray into the mudflap hole, this is what causes alot of rusty arches on cars over here due to the mud holds water for longer periods of time. kink your hose and spray you will be suprised how much dirt there is and also do near the fuel filler cap it holds dirt too and can cause premature rust)
          -Two Buckets etc GC LW, Wash order:

-Roof
          -Windows, Pillars, Mirrors
          -Bonnet (careful of bugs) and Lights
          -Upper Doors and Wings
          -Boot Lid
          -Front Bumper
          -Rear Bumber
          -Lower Sides and Sills

I do have a question, can you tell me what a FENDER is we dont have that word in the UK (Front wing? Sill?)

Comment

Working top to bottom is just common sense...
            Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
            ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
            (269)650-2242

Comment

Originally posted by christian6984 View Post

I do have a question, can you tell me what a FENDER is we dont have that word in the UK (Front wing? Sill?)
              The Fender is the panel around the tire and wheel, it is where the wheel well, or fender well is located.

How's that?
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I prefer to do the wheels, wheel wells, tires, mud flaps, lower air dam, and the very bottom of the body panels/moldings that get really dirty first. Then I work the paint from top to bottom.

Essentially, the "dirty" areas get a good cleaning... the paint and glass get a gentle "bath".

Of course, I used dedicated washing tools and suds for each section.
                Boss_429

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  I do wheels first, the roof, then hood/trunk, then sides....
                  Exactly what I do!
                  SYDSTER

Comment

I said I do top-down... On second thought, that's how I do the first vehicle. If I'm washing a 2nd vehicle, which is usually the case, then I do the tires and wheels first using the soap and water from the first vehicle. Then I change the water in both buckets and go top-down...

I guess my intention is to keep the brake dust out of the water going on the paint, without using a 3rd bucket. On the other hand, it can be tough to keep the paint from drying while washing wheels.

Comment

I use three buckets...two for the paint and one for the wheels and tires...all four wheels first, then all four tires, then the paint from the top down...for all the reasons alreay listed..
                      Bill Poirier
                      West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Wheels first, because I don't want any change of that stuff spraying up on the just washed paint. Then I wash top to bottom.

Now I'm switching to ONR this may change.
                        AeroCleanse, LLC
                        Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                        www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

The situation described in option 2 is what I prefer and usually do.
                          Jon

My auto detailing experiences:
                          http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/

Comment

Since joining this board and see Mike's video, I wash wheels first. This approach is sensible in so many ways, I can believe I ever washed the car's before its wheels. Sheesh.
                            -Freeman

Comment

Tires, rims, and wheel wells, then a full water change and bucket rinse and top to bottom. Dressing after drying.
                              If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, .... is he still wrong?

Comment

Both ... ofcourse depending on the scenario.

I do the second option (wheels first then body) during regular wash and maintenance days. Note ofcourse that I use separate mitts (1 for wheels, 2 for body), soap solution, brush (only for wheels) and buckets (1 for wheels, 2 for body) for wheels and body.

I do the first option (top to bottom of body then wheels) during my full detailing sessions or if I'll do my "home underwash". I jack up the car, put the stands on, take out all the wheels, set it aside, do the body (wash and detail) and do the wheels inbetween applications of products (say, while waiting to haze, etc., etc.).
                                But that's just me. Hope that helped though...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');