• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: *New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
    With the rotary, I would use it at around 1300-1500 rpm with a W-8006 polishing pad for moderate defect removal.
    Would you suggest finishing out @ 1000 rpm so you end up hologram free?
    Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Scottwax View Post
      Would you suggest finishing out @ 1000 rpm so you end up hologram free?
      If you are wanting to finish with only the rotary the yes, I would finish out with 1000 rpm.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I'm still salivating over this product.

Wonder how it works on glass and metal?
        www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Maybe this has already been brought up, but I don't have the patience to read the whole thread again.

It would appear that this product with its new abrasives will can/will replace Meguiar's products with "diminishing abrasives". If you can get the same results with this product as you get with #83 and #80 why mess with two applications? Plus you get and LSP too. Seems like a "no brainer" to me. Now what to I do with all my other stuff?

Tom

Comment

Nice write-up, Tim. Looks like an interesting product!

I'm looking forward to Rick offering a sampler of it!
            -The Final Detail-
            Lagrange, Kentucky
            thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
            CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

I can't wait to try this product, sounds like a real time saver. I'm also interested in giving it an unbiased side by side comparison to Polyseal on black. I may even throw 66 into the mix...

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
                It would appear that this product with its new abrasives will can/will replace Meguiar's products with "diminishing abrasives".
                At this time there's a need for both abrasive technologies, so our products that use diminishing abrasives are not going way any time soon.

If you can get the same results with this product as you get with #83 and #80 why mess with two applications? Plus you get and LSP too. Seems like a "no brainer" to me.

Now what to I do with all my other stuff?
                Remember, many of our products in the Professional Line are for use in body shop environments and on fresh paint, thus you can't take D151 into a body shop and technically it should not be used on fresh paint. The 80's series is Body Shop Safe and safe for fresh paint.

D151 is in the Detailer Line, its targeted primarily at the production detailing industry, we're happy to see the online enthusiast segment of the car world excited to try this new product out but it is a product formulated for and marketed into the professional detailing market.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

OK Mike, I get it.

Now about this quote: "Find something you like and use it often"

If you like D151, can you use it too often? I had a 1990 black full-size Bronco (enamel no clear) that I actually buffed through to the primer and this was by hand and with an "old-fashioned" orbital buffer.

Oh, I really don't need D151. Most of the time I get by with NXT applied with a polishing pad (rarely pre-polish) on both my white Ram and my wife's white Tacoma.

Tom

Comment

OK Mike, I get it.

Now about this quote: "Find something you like and use it often"

If you like D151, can you use it too often? I had a 1990 black full-size Bronco (enamel no clear) that I actually buffed through to the primer and this was by hand and with an "old-fashioned" orbital buffer.
                    The quote,

is in the context of "maintaining" your car in general, not polishing the paint once a week. That said, more than a few of our cars have had shiny primer spots on them after years of buffing the original single stage paint. Also consider when we purchased our old cars with single stage paint they've already had multiple owners for decades before we ever worked on them, so hard to say what product have been used on them in the past and how much paint was on the car by the time we took possession.

This truck here had black primer showing through on the hood from years of polishing the blue paint off, but it was clean and somewhat shiny for primer. The sides had this spots to on the high points...

As for your question, a new car with a clear coat finish that has all of its integrity, (film-build), shouldn't be a problem for waxing often but D151 is a type of cleaner/wax with the ability to remove swirls and other below surface defects.

In the real world a person might use this the first time they detail a car or truck to remove the defects but after that a polish/wax or a pure wax could be used to maintain it so that you're not removing paint each time you wax your car. If you find you need the D151 because the paint keeps getting swirls and scratches then it's time to look at the root cause of the problem and try to address this issue instead of continuing to use a cleaner/wax which will continue to remove paint.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I hope it;s not to long before it hits canada.

Comment

So when is it officially for sale? It was said to be on sale in May. I have a lot of detailling to do for used car dealer and if i can save the waxing time i ll take it for sure. At the end of the week it is few extra cars so ore $$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by alfa_164s View Post
                          So when is it officially for sale? It was said to be on sale in May. I have a lot of detailling to do for used car dealer and if i can save the waxing time i ll take it for sure. At the end of the week it is few extra cars so ore $$$$.

Been lurking here a long time, finally joined!!!

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Meguiars (I think his name was Clay), and he said that the release of D151 has been pushed out to June or July.

Comment

Originally posted by bamorris2 View Post
                            Been lurking here a long time, finally joined!!!

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Meguiars (I think his name was Clay), and he said that the release of D151 has been pushed out to June or July.
                            Mike(s)........

Say it ain't so!!!!
                            www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

OK, I'll say it...

It isn't so!

I'm the project lead on the PRC product. I'm not aware of any delay in production and we are on-time/on schedule.

I'll also say...have yourself a great Memorial Day weekend, then come back and place your order for D151 PRC!

Comment

Thanks for watching the boards and keeping us up to date.
                                You seem to have a keen sense of when to chime in!

Don't you ever sleep?
                                Kevin Brown
                                NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');