• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to upload and insert an image into your posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to upload and insert an image into your posts

The old thread on this subject seems to be a bit outdated, especially the forum format. I thought it would be nice to do a thread with the updated forum interface.

First off, to get to your gallery, click the "Gallery" button at the top of the forum page.

Here is where it will take you

From here, you can go to two places to upload photos. The first I will show you is where to go to create an album for your photos and how to upload them from that page. On the black title bar near the top of the page, click on "My Albums." This will show you any albums you have, or give you the option at the top to create a new album. When you click on the "Create A New Album" link, it will ask you for the album name, and if you want, a description. You can also make the album private, but I personally don't see a use for that, nor do I know what it will do if you click it. I would guess it makes it so no one can browse your photos, but you are posting them anyways, right!? I'd just leave that be. Once that album is created, there is an "Upload Photos" link next to your album. This will upload the photos directly to that album. I like to use albums because it keeps your photos organized by category, and therefore, makes it easier to find a specific photo.
    Album Page

The next place you can upload photos is at the regular upload photo page. The link for this is on the black title bar on the far right, so named "Upload Photos."
    That will bring you to this page, the Upload Photos page

Once you are here, you are given 20 slots to upload photos. Click on the "Browse" box to search for the photo you want to upload. Each box can be used for one photo. There is an option here to upload the photos to one of your albums. You can select an album here to upload your photos to. Once you have selected all of your photos, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Here you are given the option of just uploading the images as they are, or there is an "Extra Options" box.
    • The "Retrieve all images from a URL," I believe, will allow you to upload all of the photos from a specified URL. I have not used this before, but perhaps to someone, it would be useful.
    • The next option, "Skip upload and process the files already in your upload directory," will skip the process page and directly upload them to your chosen gallery directory, and take you there.

The other three options are pretty self-explanitory.
    The Extra Options Box

Once you are finished selecting your photos to upload and have selected any options you would like, click the "Upload/Submit" button.
    A bold line will pop up saying "Processing Upload... Please Wait!"

From here, you will be taken to the "Process Photos" page if you are uploading more than one picture. If you are only uploading one picture, or chose to skip the photo processing, you can skip ahead to the next step. Here is the page that will show up

Here you can add specific titles, descriptions, and keywords to the pictures. When you are done, scroll down to the bottom and click the "Process" button. You may be taken to another processing page to process the rest of your photos. Just do the same as you did on the first page, and continue on.

Now you should have your photos uploaded. Here's how to get it into your post.

First, find the picture that you want to insert in your gallery and click it. That will bring you to that photos properties page.
    Photo Properties Page

Scroll down to the "Additional Info" box. There is a line in bold that says, "Linked Thumbnail." There is an icon of a picture frame with a chain link. Click that icon. This will bring up four other options. The one you are concerned with is the "Direct Link" at the bottom. This is the direct URL of the image on the Meguiar's Image Server. Select the entire URL and copy it.
    Additional Info Box and the Direct Link URL

From here, go to your post that you want to insert the image in.
    Create a new post page

In the "Message" box, there is a yellow square icon with mountains in it. Click it. That will pop up the URL box for the image.
    URL Box

Use the shortcut "Ctrl + V" to paste that direct link URL you copied a few steps ago, and hit OK. This will insert the full size image into your post.
    Inserted Photo

You can click on the "Preview Post" button to see what your post will look like.
    Preview Post

If your post looks good, you are all done and you can now submit your post for the world to see!

Written by Tyler Clegg (roushtage2) for Meguiar's Online Forums. If you find any errors, please let me know so that I can get them fixed! Thanks!

Re: How to upload and insert an image into your posts

Just to add some [clearer] information.

This is the icon that will appear next to the "Linked Thumbnail" box. This is what you click to find your "Direct Link" image code.

Comment

Just to add some [clearer] information.

This is the icon that you will click to paste your "Direct Link" image code so your picture will appear in your reply.

Comment

Good post Tyler, I just did one here at work and you already had one.

Good thing I checked (too bad I already uploaded pictures )

This is worth a bump!
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks Aaron! Those night shifts getting to you?

Comment

yeah, first week back on nights is heck. 12 hours in a jail ***** sometimes, been there almost 15 years!

I did my write up I called it Photo uploading for dummies

Then I checked to be sure and sure enough you had your post.

I screen capture and walked through with pictures.

I was like, sheesh, it's already done!!!
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');