• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Below is the real-world pictures captured at a recent Saturday Class here at Meguiar's where we used M105 Ultra Cut Compound to quickly and easily remove the etching left by a bird dropping. There were two very blatant etchings on the hood of this Chrysler and as part of a demonstration on technique, we demonstrated both ScratchX and M105. The results were that both product worked but the M105 worked faster with less work and produced better results.

Here are the products we used,

M105 Ultra Cut Compound
    ScratchX
    Soft Foam Applicator Pads
    Supreme Shine Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Taken from this thread...
    Open Class - Pictures & Comments - June 28th, 2008

Here's some before & after pictures of two bird dropping etchings we removed by HAND

The first one we removed by hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound, the second one we removed by hand using ScratchX.

The results were both amazing but what most people found interesting was the M105 removed 99.9% of the defect with one application while ScratchX removed about 95% of the defect with 3 applications.

ScratchX also required more "Passion behind the pad" for each application while M105 required some passion to engage the product with the paint but nowhere near as much pressure or as much time.

First we'll frame up the shot so you can see the car and where the bird dropping etchings were. The etching being pointed to is the one we removed using M105 and just to the left of that spot is the bird dropping etching we removed using ScratchX

Except for the first picture, all the rest are original photos, no touch-up work at all was done to them. Some were cropped and resized but that's just so they will fit on your monitor.

The finish overall is swirled-out but Bob's going to put his new learned skills and knowledge to work to restore a show car finish for his wife!

M105 Before

M105 After

ScratchX Before

ScratchX After

Both work if you work them but it was very apparent that for removing below surface defects by hand M105 Ultra Cut Compound was the hands-down winner.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Wow, great work, ill have to remember this one

Comment

is there alternative for this product, coz i cant find this product here in toronto (canadian tire, wal mart, part source). Maybe there is a diffrent product which works aggressive as this M105. Or anyone who lives in Toronto that know where to but this complete Meguiars products would be greatly appredciated, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by glenndale View Post
        is there alternative for this product, coz i cant find this product here in toronto (canadian tire, wal mart, part source). Maybe there is a diffrent product which works aggressive as this M105. Or anyone who lives in Toronto that know where to but this complete Meguiar's products would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
        No. There's not alternative. You can use M95 which will do the same job but it may not finish out as nice which means you'll have to do a follow-up step to get the paint smooth and clear.

M105 is the high-end version and it has the extra bells and whistles that enable it to finish out like a finishing polish.

At this time there just isn't usually a replacement for this.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I went to the Saturday class and watched ScratchX and M105 in action as well. All I have to say is, I ordered a bottle of M105 the following Monday. Fantastic product.
          2005 BMW X5
          2003 Porsche 911
          2006 English Bulldog

Comment

That looks really good. I wish there was a wax that protect the paints finish from bird droppings.

Comment

Maybe this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Anyway, As far as Meguiar's aggressiveness scale goes, where does ScratchX fit in?

I know M105 is a 12, which is very high. I'm guessing ScratchX is significantly less aggressive initially? Would that be why it requires more applications to achieve the desired result?

Comment

From my experience (I'm not a professional, many others know far more than I) ScratchX is not very aggressive at all. It doesn't have as many abbrasives as say M80 and has more polishes. It's great because you can work it by hand and get a LOT of concentrated pressure on a small area and get out some pretty heavy stuff. I've seen it work BETTER than 80 on certain paints and barely cut down scratches on certain hard clear coats. All depends on what you're working on, really. So in terms of aggressiveness on their scale, I'd put it a notch or so below M80 (which I can't remember at the moment.. it's LATE lol). Hope I helped

Comment

just bought the m105 and i love it!! i also use the scratch x and i still love it too!!
                  30th ann 97 camaro z28/ss white on white leather. 02 ss rims and spoiler, flowmasters and its a 6 speed!! soon huggar stripes!!

Comment

M105 is unreal by machine or by hand.

I have removed DEEP, old fingernail and ring scratches inside the painted handle wells on doors with M105 BY FINGER before...heh.

M105 on a Purple Foamed Wool is my #1 weapon of choice for swirl and scratch removal by FLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by glenndale View Post
                      is there alternative for this product, coz i cant find this product here in toronto (canadian tire, wal mart, part source). Maybe there is a diffrent product which works aggressive as this M105. Or anyone who lives in Toronto that know where to but this complete Meguiars products would be greatly appredciated, thanks!
                      You can find M105 as well as M80, M83 at www.eshine.ca. They're based in Port Colborne (Niagara Falls). My orders arrive at my door pretty quickly and the prices are competitive with the prices stateside. You can't go wrong.
                      We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

When you used the #105 by hand with the foam applicator, did it finish off with a haze free crystal clear finish? It looks like it finished off as crystal clear as the scratch X did from the photos, I'm just curious how it was in person

Comment

Still doing some catch up on old threads - very nice! Great Photos!
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I've been experimenting with 105 as well., I like it, but I'm still unsure of how much to put on my foam applicator pad when applying?

Also, I've also experienced some hazing after using 105, i figured I could correct it by following the 105, with 80, but that didn't work as well as expected.

Any body have any suggestions for me?

Comment

i would try the scratchx or 205 after the 105
                              2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                              2005 Honda CRF250R
                              2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');