• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Products For Hand Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Products For Hand Detailing

I have a 2008 Fiji Blue Pearl Honda Civic. I just purchased a G110 to start using on the vehicles in my house but I am too uncomfortable to use it on my new Civic still. I need a reccomendation on what to use to remove the light swirls and scratches the dealer put in it at delivery time(probably from their crappy wash). I plan on so far doing the wash and clay, but am unsure of what to do then after that. Thanks guys!!
    "Forza Kimi"

Re: Best Products For Hand Detailing

#80 Speed Glaze on a polishing pad would be the place to start. Either the 8006 or the new 8027 washeable polishing pad.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi and welcome to Meguiar's Online!

If you have the G100 go with it, get some products like M80 and remove those defects. It's less effort for you and you'll get better results.

The G110 is a great machine and pretty safe to use, only chances that you have to damage the surface is to drop the machine on top of the paint.

If you still want to do the job by hand then you can always get DC1,DC2 or ScratchX

Comment

I guess I will give it a shot, I fear damaging the paint on the Civic because it is only #44 out of 1000 made of the Honda Civic "Mugen Edition" Si. I have been trying the #80 on my fathers Ford Escape but it doesnt really seem to be having any results. It has deep embedded water spots and many imperfection on the hood.
        "Forza Kimi"

Comment

If you haven't already, read through the below article and see if there's anything listed that you might be doing wrong.

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
          Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
          (These are all similar tools)

If you're not making any headway on your Father's Ford Escape that means you're not really removing paint, that's the opposite problem of what you're afraid of doing with your Honda.

Wrote something like this earlier today here,

This...

Originally posted by clutchhappy
          Second, as to Scratch X not being aggressive enough, I'm really leery of doing something that will permanently damage the paint, (is it possible to go through the clear coat for example). Is that possible to do with these compounds?
          This is always an interesting question because usually the problem people have is removing swirls, (that means removing paint), in most cases most people cant get the swirls out, another way of saying this is they can't remove enough paint.

Yet the concern is their afraid of removing too much paint.

See the irony? They can't remove enough paint and in some cases any paint at all by hand and they're worried about removing too much paint.

Take our word for it, it's the least of your worries when working by hand or with a DA Polisher. Your focus should be on removing enough paint to level the surface and thus remove the swirls.

Just continue to practice on the Ford till you get good results and get confidence...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Is it possible that the #80 is not the correct product for the Escape? I have tried about 2 times so far and the imperfections are sill there!
            "Forza Kimi"

Comment

It is a possibility that they are not aggressive enough. These imperfections you speak of, what are they exactly? Cracks? Deep scratches? Swirls?

Here is some very useful advice about this forum: pictures do an amazing job of clarifying your situation.

:]

oh, and nice civic btw, the blue looks great!

Comment

#80 is a mild cleaner polish... it is posible something stronger would be needed, though you need to be sure of using the proper technique as well.

Did you pick up the "How To Get Show Car Results with a PC" DVD by Mike and Richard? It is for the G100, but the ideas are the same.

I would need someone to confirm if the machine settings are the same though for both machines?

Comment

Yes i watched the dvd and I will try to take some pics of the escape. I can post that in another topic idea. So what you guys think? I try the 80 with the DA? Or just do it by hand?
                  "Forza Kimi"

Comment

is it difficult to use machine polisher??? new here

Comment

Well, it might take a couple tries to get the technique right with the G100/110/220, but unless you drop the machine, there is no chance of damaging the paint while you learn.

A rotary would be a whole nother story.... You would want to learn on a scrap panel first.

And yes, I would try the #80 with the with the G110, you can already see that it is a fairly mild product.

Comment

Originally posted by superbogel View Post
                        is it difficult to use machine polisher??? new here
                        No, but it's probably a good idea to start your own thread with this type of question instead of tagging on to this member's thread.

Thank you.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

M80 with the G110 works great on the Fiji Civic's. This car belongs to a fellow 8thcivic.com member (The Piper) and I showed him how to use the G110/PC with M80 and he actually did the drivers side of this car. He never watched a DVD or tried it on any other car. He simply watched me and then buffed away. It really is very safe and as long as you concentrate on arm speed, pressure and over lapping motions you will do fine.

Try some M105 by hand for the Escape.

BTW, I <3 the FBP!

Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Whats up Rasky, im the one who bugs you on 8thcivic always for suggestions!!
                            "Forza Kimi"

Comment

Originally posted by MUGEN SI View Post
                              Whats up Rasky, im the one who bugs you on 8thcivic always for suggestions!!
                              LOL. I figured so. The different screen name threw me off at first but your questions sounded familiar. Nice to see you on MOL. Now instead of only getting advice from only me you can get it from hundreds of detailing pros.

Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');