• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's Polishes - which works the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's Polishes - which works the best?

I'm pretty sure other members have the same question. Deep Crystal, Machine Glaze(#3), New Car Glaze(#5), Show Car Glaze(#7), Speed Glaze(#80), Body Shop Professional Hand Polish which one of them gives the best polishing results? Can ALL of them be applied by PC? My car is 2000 Acura 3.2TL white.

First and foremost, yes, all of them can be applied by PC. Secondly, I think you're going to find that each one of those products fills a specific void inside a detailer's arsenal.

#3 (Machine Glaze) is a pure polish that provides nutrients to revitalize nearly all painted finishes. It goes on and comes off in a very easy manner and is thought of throughout the detailing community as a top-notch product.

#7 (Show Car Glaze) is more of a pure polish which doesn't offer any abrasion. This is a product that can be utilized, again, on all painted surfaces and has the HUGE advantage that it doesn't dry white. This is my favorite pure polish as it provides a really deep, wet shine.

#81 (Hand Polish) is my second favorite polish in the Meguiar's line as it offers incredible gloss on dark paints (like mine).

So, with that brief description, I think you're going to find that nearly every person here has their preference. Mine is #81 or #7 (from the three you listed) but, they all have a knack or void that they fill.

Overall, one thing is common with each one of the products; apply thin coats.

I hope that helps a little even though I didn't directly answer your question. Opinions are like... well, you know and thus, I hesitate to say which is best.

RP
    Last edited by Rockpick; Sep 13, 2004, 01:33 PM.
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Thanks a lot. I only tried #7 so far out of Professional Line, but will try more of the different ones. Thanks again.

Comment

Hey,

Just to add...

Meguiar's makes various Pure Polishes for several different applications:

Although #3 Machine Glaze is designed to be applied by machine (i.e. the rotary buffer) it works very well with the PC. As far as I know, it is a pure polish that will add tremendous depth to the paint!

Moreover, again, as far as I know, #3, #5, #7 and #81 are all "Pure Polishes". Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze was designed waaaaay back when single stage paints were the norm.

Meguiar's #5 New Car Glaze was designed for high humidity areas. As such, unlike the other pure polishes, it will dry, leaving a white residue. Hence, extra diligence is required to make sure all of the rsidue is removed.

Meguiar's #81 Hand Polish, also a pure polish, was designed with BC/CC in mind. It leaves a tremendous gloss with a slightly easier to remove residue (compared to #7).

Mike has made a detailed comparison of these pure polishes previously on MOL. I will try and find the link.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Also, I see you've got #80 Speed Glaze on your list. That one's not like the others - it's a 4 on Meg's abrasive scale and will take out swirls, then break down to polish as it's worked. It's great stuff, but much more abrasive than the rest of your list...
          My Car!

Comment

Hey,

Again, none of the pure polishes: #3, #5, #7 or #81 have abrasives in them.

Here is the post made by Mike:

Quote:

"Here's the short answer, the long answer is posted somewhere in the Detailing 101 Forum. If anyone ever finds it, send me the link and I'll use it for a FAQ question.

#3 Machine Glaze - Machine applied pure polish. Non-abrasive, much like #7 in that it's rich in polishing oils, but formulated to be wetter product for machine buffing where heat is generated. Been around since the 1930's I think, possibly the 1940's.

#5 New Car Glaze - Pure Polish formulated for high humidity regions. Dries fast, dries white. Originally formulated for Acrylic Lacquers and Acrylic Enamels. Will work on any paint. Been around since the 1950's I think.

#7 Show Car Glaze - Pure Polish - Originally called Sealer and Resealer Glaze. Richest in polishing oils of all Meguiar's polishes. Made famous for giving cars that Wet-Look at car shows. Been around since the 1930's I think.

Link for reference:

Also as the poster above mentioned, #80 Speed Glaze is not a pure polish. It is a cleaner, polish and has a paintable polymer.

I hope this helps!
            Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim for clearing this up.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                Again, none of the pure polishes: #3, #5, #7 or #81 have abrasives in them.
                Was that in response to my post, Tim? Nobody else seemed to notice he had #80 lumped in with the pure polishes. I was just pointing out that Speed Glaze is not a pure polish like the rest - it's abrasive.
                My Car!

Comment

Hey Cam,

Nope, I was just trying to convey that those products that I mentioned were pure polishes. When I noticed your reply regarding the #80, I thought I should also clarify that as well for those that may be new to those particular products.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                    I thought I should also clarify that as well for those that may be new to those particular products.
                    Good thinking! Must be all that clean, fresh, BC air...
                    My Car!

Comment

Hey Cam,

Do you mean, the cold air and all of the rain lately??? Ughhhh!!! Every morning I wake up expecting to see snow on the surrounding mountains!!!

Tim

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');