• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Premium Detailed 1960 Chevrolet Corvair 700 Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premium Detailed 1960 Chevrolet Corvair 700 Sedan

It's been 48 years since the induction of the 1960 Corvair, on October 2, 1959. Of the 250,007 Corvairs produced in the ffice:smarttags" />United States during the first model year, the 700 sedan accounted for 139,208 units, or just over 55% of total 1960 model year production.
    fficeffice" />
    In its first year, the stock Corvair was put to the test, and racked up impressive performances, averaging 27.03 miles per gallon in the 2,061 mile, 1960 Mobilgas Economy run. The same car then went on to prove its robust performance by scaling a snowy Pike's Peak to its 14,110 ft. summit!

The 1960 Corvair was also chosen by Motor Trend magazine as Car of the Year. MT called the Corvair, "the most significant car of 1960," and applauded it for "engineering advancement," as well as "four-wheel independent suspension totally unlike any other U.S.-built car," and for its rear engine and transaxle "allowing a flatter floor and lower roofline."

This Corvair was just a rolling chassis. Having no engine or interior in the car, the owner called me to see if the paint was worth saving. As you will see from the pictures it was severely oxidized. He had tried Mothers Cleaner Wax to remove the oxidation with very little luck. The paint on the car was the original color, but it had been repainted about 20 years ago. The repaint seemed to be of low quality, but turned out nice. The owner pulled the door handles, rear bumper, and most of the trim off before I got there.

With the facts out of the way, on with the detail!

Process
    Dawn wash
    Clay with Blackfire Poly Clay 2
    Taped up all trim and edges
    Tested several products and pads, but ended up going with Makita 9227, an orange LC CCS 7.5” foam pad, and Megs M85 on thick oxidation (all doors) and Optimum Compound on the rest of the car
    Polished entire car with a white LC CCS 7.5” foam pad and Optimum Polish
    Dawn washed again to break down any compound or polish residue left on the paint
    As the LSP I opted for Collinite 476S paste wax for durability

On to the pics, enjoy!

Befores

Before of the driver side door

After driver side door (teaser pic)

Trying to figure out the best combo

A little 50/50

Hood after compounding

Making some progress!

Afters!

Thanks for looking!

Re: Premium Detailed 1960 Chevrolet Corvair 700 Sedan

Awesome work!

Thanks for sharing! Kind of fun restoring neglected, oxidized and even antique single stage paints.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just to note, there's some wacky code in your post that looks like this,
      fficeffice" />
      Usually this means you've copied and pasted from some kind of Microsoft software such as MS Word or even MS Outlook.

Here's a thread that discusses the Hidden Code and what you can do to prevent it on your posts.

Also, next time you do a car like this maybe give one of our pure polishes a shot or our M80 Speed Glaze, they have a very LONG history of bringing out the full richness of color on single stage paints due to the polishing oils proprietary to Meguiar's.

Just a thought... your results still look great with the products you did use...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Looks Great!!
        Huge Improvement!!
        Great Work!!
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

Ha!

All the text I typed after the hidden code I copied from the OP's original post was chopped off.

That's the problem with Hidden Code, you can spend a lot of time typing up a really great post and than after you hit the Submit button in the process of rendering your post vBulletin will cut out some of the text you've written and if you don't have a back-up of it then you'll either have to re-type it all of just forget about it and then no one gets to see your great post.

Here's the rest of what I typed,

Here's the link to a post that discusses "Hidden Code" and how to avoid it when posting to a vBulletin forum.

Hidden Code

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

[quote=Mike Phillips;270570]Just to note, there's some wacky code in your post that looks like this,
            fficeffice" />[/quote

Thats wierd, I have no clue what that is.

Comment

[quote=Premium;270588]
              Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Just to note, there's some wacky code in your post that looks like this,
              fficeffice" />[/quote

Thats wierd, I have no clue what that is.

Are you typing directly into the forum message box or copying and pasting from something you typed your post up in previously?

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Copy and paste. I posted this in like 4 other forums.

Comment

Well somewhere along the line Microsoft has entered into the picture according to the code you your post.

All I'm trying to is make you aware of this. Again, see the link I posted previously as it goes over this issue in detail and shows how to avoid it.

If you have a good copy of everything you invested your time into while typing this up then you're okay. It's when you lose everything you invested your time into because the hidden code chops it off and you don't have a good copy that hurts. Unless you don't mind retyping everything you previously type.

Some of my post go over 5000 words and I hate re-typing what I've already thought out and it usually never comes out the right way the second time.

Maybe look at the other forums you posted this to and see what forum software they're using?

We use vBulletin on this forum.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Also noticed you're using PhotoBucket to host your images...

Hope we never see this pictures turn into red x's or something like this,

Usually happens for people using the free account because as they run out of free space the just delete old photos to make room for new photos and then everywhere they posted their threads/photos over the Internet the pictures disappear.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I just noticed that it is just this forum that has this problem. Yes, I do have a backup of all of write ups. I compose them in a word document then I copy from that and paste them into forum threads.

Comment

Wow, that is a impressive - very nice turn around. Sure looks like he can wait on a new paint job and get the car running first. Nice work!!
                        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Premium View Post

I compose them in a word document then I copy from that and paste them into forum threads.
                          Do you mean a Microsoft Word Document? Like MS Word, which means Microsoft Word?

Again, just a heads up that this kind of problem happens due to hidden code in MS products that don't render out exactly when copied and pasted into vBulletin software in the WYSIWYG mode versus Editor Mode.

Again.........................

I explain all this in detail in this thread,

Hidden Code

Just a heads up to try to help educate you and everyone that will ever read this thread and the above thread as to a problem that exists.

I already know about it and know how to strip code out should I copy and past from a MS Word or other MS document.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Got it, thanks!

Comment

Great save. The paint looks great. Way to go.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');