• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for removing swirls by hand with SMA Technology

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for removing swirls by hand with SMA Technology

hi, which one of these pads did you use?

This: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4816
    OR

Comment

Question,
      I have a black Acura and based on what I have read so far, my understanding is that Acura's paint is relatively soft.
      Am I correct that on soft paint one should use the least aggressive product?

I will be working by hand and will SwirlX be the correct product to use for light swirl removal on soft paint?
      2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Ehh... maybe. I'd tend to want to have UC on my shelf as well....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I am a bit of hesitant... or afraid of aggressive compounds.
          I have a can of Turtle Wax compound in my garage that I used on my old car to remove some tar stains and ended up marring the paint.
          In addition, since I do not own a DA, I don't think I cant correct any mistakes I might make.

I have at my disposal, ColorX and SwirlX... and that Turtle Wax compound for paint correction.
          Was my mistake using Turtle Wax compound? Would Ultimate Compound be safer?

Comment

Ultimate Compound is totally different than the Turtle Wax Compound or also known as rocks in a bottle/tub LOL! Throw that away. You are less likely to marr your paint with Ultimate Compound (still possible if you have soft paint). If you do marr your paint, you can always use Ultimate Polish to refine your finish, remove the micro-marring and leave a show car glossy finish.

Do not be afraid of using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It's totally safe.

SwirlX is milder than Ultimate Compound and I'm not really sure if it's going to take out the scratches created by the rocks in the bottle.
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Well, this is quite different from old Turtle Wax compounds. I have not used their newer products, so probably not fair to compare.

You also didnt mention what applicator, towels, etc you may have used. Working a terry cloth into the paint can also scratch the paint... tend to just want a smooth foam applicator and good MF towels, and using even pressure, not fingertips.

The nice thing with the products like UC and SwirlX is that you can apply them with more or less energy/passion. If you just wipe UC over the paint a little like you were waxing, it will be milder than working in SwirlX. If you work UC in with more passion, or with a DA, or drill attachment, you may get into removing mild sanding marks and whatnot.

So whichever you choose, or first one then the other, you can start off mild and then use a little more passion.

Comment

Thank you both for your comments.
                Will throw out the Turtle Wax and start with SwirlX first since I already have this and I will be using the Meguiar's foam applicator pads to apply and use a MF towel to wipe off.
                I was told that Acura's have pretty soft paint so will start with light pressure and work up if necessary.

I can't wait until the weather gets a bit more warmer so that I can start this project!

I plan on..
                Wash
                Clay
                ColorX and SwirlX where needed
                Ultimate Polish
                NXT
                Gold Class Wax

Comment

Sounds great! Let us know how it works out. Like what Murr mentioned, you need to apply passion for these products to work.

I would take out ColorX in your process. Also, using the Gold Class is a little redundant when you're using it after NXT. Both are LSPs. The GC is made out of carnauba while the NXT is a sealant. Both serve the same purpose. There's really no reason in doing both. But this shouldn't stop you.

I would do:
                  1. Wash
                  2. Clay
                  3. SwirlX where needed
                  4. Ultimate Polish
                  5. Wax - either NXT or GC

Comment

ColorX is just a cleaner/wax. Wont do much for swirls by hand, and no point in using it if going to polish and wax again after.

Comment

Killin me this morning Marc....

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        Killin me this morning Marc....
                        LOL Mat hehehe! No worries it's probably just today ROFL!!!

I still lack the knowledge you have in all your posts though.

Comment

So when is it appropriate to use ColorX?

First time using Meguiar's products and I was extremely pleased with the 1 layer of Gold Class Wax and read somewhere on this forum that adding a layer of Gold Glass over NXT will really bring out that deep gloss and wet look.

Thank you very much in advance to Murr1525 and Marc08EX!

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
                            I still lack the knowledge you have in all your posts though.
                            I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by C8N View Post
                              So when is it appropriate to use ColorX?

First time using Meguiar's products and I was extremely pleased with the 1 layer of Gold Class Wax and read somewhere on this forum that adding a layer of Gold Glass over NXT will really bring out that deep gloss and wet look.

Thank you very much in advance to Murr1525 and Marc08EX!
                              ColorX is appropriate for maintenance details.. It's a mild 1 step cleaner wax as Mat mentioned. If you really don't have swirls to remove but you just want to clean the paint up.

Comment

I like ColorX for a quick detail.

Say

1. Wash
                                2. Clay if needed
                                3. ColorX
                                4. Wax

Layering different waxes is up to you. Just give it a shot, or do different panels different ways and see if you tell any difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');