• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Wear a Mask When Detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Wear a Mask When Detailing?

I was wondering if you guys wear masks when you polish cars?
    I do not, my Dad (a Doctor) said yesterday when I was coughing it was probably from the polishing.
    Yes- Rotary Buffer
    2.23%
    Yes- DA
    1.12%
    Both
    3.91%
    Sometimes
    10.61%
    Never Thought of It
    32.40%
    No
    49.72%
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Re: Do You Wear a Mask When Detailing?

I Do Not, But this Poll Could Change my Mind.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    '99 F-150

Comment

i have never actually thought of it, i am curious as well to see if people do
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

And risk missing out on my Last Touch or UWQ high? I think not...

Comment

I think it is fine to not wear a mask when using products like Last Touch and UQW
          My question was more towards the Polishing aspect.
          Sorry for the Confusion.
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          '99 F-150

Comment

never thought of it, i really wouldnt think it would be a problem??

Comment

It's probably not a bad idea if you're kicking up a lot of dust from the polish. Dust from any source, chemical or natural,can negatively impact the long term health of your lungs and the rest of your respiratory system.

I'm still worried about all the ethyl-methylketone (EMK) and acetone I soaked up through my hands as an aerospace worker in the 80's and 90's before both chemicals were banned as hazardous toxins. Guess I don't need to add to my repertoire of future health problems.

Comment

you should wear a mask especially when working with products that contain
                crystalline silica i think there's still a few out there. I always wear a mask and safety glasses especially when compounding.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                  It's probably not a bad idea if you're kicking up a lot of dust from the polish. Dust from any source, chemical or natural,can negatively impact the long term health of your lungs and the rest of your respiratory system.

I'm still worried about all the ethyl-methylketone (EMK) and acetone I soaked up through my hands as an aerospace worker in the 80's and 90's before both chemicals were banned as hazardous toxins. Guess I don't need to add to my repertoire of future health problems.

That is seriously nasty stuff. I really hope you don't have problems, but sadly, I have heard many horror stories

Comment

I have a Reagan mask I'll usually wear.
                    Heatgain (Gary)
                    The Irate Magistrate
                    Neutral & Detached

Comment

It depends. Sometimes I do.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post

That is seriously nasty stuff. I really hope you don't have problems, but sadly, I have heard many horror stories
                        Yep, that's why they were banned. But we didn't know back then. Those two chemicals were great for removing everything from aluminum and steel jet engine parts, and especially titanium. The worst part was that it was common practice for aerospace workers to use the same chems to remove grime and grease from our hands. Knock on wood, it's been nearly 20 years since I last touched those chemicals and I still haven't grown a third arm.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                          Yep, that's why they were banned. But we didn't know back then. Those two chemicals were great for removing everything from aluminum and steel jet engine parts, and especially titanium. The worst part was that it was common practice for aerospace workers to use the same chems to remove grime and grease from our hands. Knock on wood, it's been nearly 20 years since I last touched those chemicals and I still haven't grown a third arm.
                          I met ClearlyCoated at the Open Garage yesterday and it's true he doesn't have a third arm, but he does have six fingers on each hand.

I too have worked in Aerospace space since the early 70's. and most of the chemicals we used for degreasing are now banned. I used to keep squeeze bottles of Freon and MEK at my workbench for for cleaning parts for inspection. We thought nothing of it at the time.

Mike
                          Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                            I met ClearlyCoated at the Open Garage yesterday and it's true he doesn't have a third arm, but he does have six fingers on each hand.
                            LOL! The 6 fingered hands give me a decided advantage for manually applying Ultimate Compound. Plus the chemical mutations allow me to spin my wrists at 5000 PRM's!

Comment

My Uncle is a painter and has his own business and i work with him on the weekends and a couple of times a week and i enjoy helping him and learning new things. Today while sanding some wood doors and trim we got on the topic of how he wears a mask when spraying paint, whether its inside a house or spray painting a car. He said its important to work in a well ventilated area. He also went on to say that some chemicals in compounds and cleaner/polishes shouldnt be breathed in, not sure if this goes for Meguiars products or not. Even if he was wrong i wouldnt argue with him because he has been painting for 32 years and i like to show respect for my uncle and wouldnt try to act like i a Pro at anything. But he just said to wear a mask when painting and said it couldnt hurt to wear a mask when detailing for an extended period of time with a strong smelling product
                              Nick
                              Tucker's Detailing Services
                              815-954-0773
                              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');