• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-to Wash your car with a Rinse-less Wash System [video]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-to Wash your car with a Rinse-less Wash System [video]

Here is the first video of a mini-series. Let me know what you think!

Ratings and comments on the YouTube link (as well as spreading the word!) are much appreciated!

Direct link for sharing or leaving comments/ratings: CLICK HERE

Re: How-to Wash your car with a Rinse-less Wash System [video]

I was going to say, don't try this when your vehicle is covered in more then some dust or water spots... but you covered that at the end.

Personally, I avoid doing this as I think it tends to carry the dirt from the bucket back onto the vehicle. Also, I don't think a traditional wash uses much water. I don't spay down my vehicle much after the wash and turn the hose off when it's not being used. I also use a nozzle which limits the amount of water being used. I'm guessing that I use 4 gallons for the bucket and other 4 gallons to rinse. If I use the two bucket method, add 3 more gallons to that. A shower uses that in about 2-3 minutes. So I just skip a shower that week.

Other then that, I think you could have saved some money by not hiring such a good actor for the shoot.

Comment

Great video!

Does this mean the Meguiar's now endorses the use of Last Touch as a rinseless wash product?
      I'm thinking it's more of a Mark Kleis endorsement.
      In any case, it seemed to do the job and the black paint would surely have had any marring visible.
      Rinseless washes are a staple of my car care that started because of the ability to wash in my garage during the winter months. The ease and convenience has made them my usual method of washing year round.
      It's not for everyone and IMO, shouldn't be used on extremely dirty vehicles, but with care, you can do rinseless washes without destroying your paint.

Any comparisons between the Last Touch wash and an Optimum No Rinse wash.
      Charles
      The Rainmaker

Comment

Nice video Mark.

I feel bad for that Meguiars Microfiber Wash mitt,It looked pretty black after doing the wheels.

Did it come out 100% clean in the washing machine?
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by tcope1 View Post
          I was going to say, don't try this when your vehicle is covered in more then some dust or water spots... but you covered that at the end.

Personally, I avoid doing this as I think it tends to carry the dirt from the bucket back onto the vehicle. Also, I don't think a traditional wash uses much water. I don't spay down my vehicle much after the wash and turn the hose off when it's not being used. I also use a nozzle which limits the amount of water being used. I'm guessing that I use 4 gallons for the bucket and other 4 gallons to rinse. If I use the two bucket method, add 3 more gallons to that. A shower uses that in about 2-3 minutes. So I just skip a shower that week.

Other then that, I think you could have saved some money by not hiring such a good actor for the shoot.
          Haha, well I think they made up for he actor's cost by making the same guy edit the videos from home

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
          Great video!

Does this mean the Meguiar's now endorses the use of Last Touch as a rinseless wash product?
          I'm thinking it's more of a Mark Kleis endorsement.
          In any case, it seemed to do the job and the black paint would surely have had any marring visible.
          Rinseless washes are a staple of my car care that started because of the ability to wash in my garage during the winter months. The ease and convenience has made them my usual method of washing year round.
          It's not for everyone and IMO, shouldn't be used on extremely dirty vehicles, but with care, you can do rinseless washes without destroying your paint.

Any comparisons between the Last Touch wash and an Optimum No Rinse wash.
          I wouldn't call it official, but I will say that it is a lot more effective than people realize. I've been using this almost exclusively on personal and client vehicles for about 6 months and I have yet to find any wash-induced marring or swirls.

I also find that because it is so east, convenient, and quick, I end up washing my vehicle at least twice as much. Thus, I am working on a cleaner surface to start with...making it easier to avoid swirls.

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
          Nice video Mark.

I feel bad for that Meguiars Microfiber Wash mitt,It looked pretty black after doing the wheels.

Did it come out 100% clean in the washing machine?
          Thanks Nick. My mitts wash up pretty darn well- not quite as snowy white after being washed, but perfectly clean and soft for additional use. Typically, though, I do use a wash brush which will guest appear in the subsequent video.

Comment

Who's the funny looking guy in the video?

Seriously though, great video. If I had any Last Touch I would try this out myself, sadly I will have to wait for my next ADS order which may be sooner than later.
            James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
            Calais Auto Detailing
            CalaisDetails@aim.com
            www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Sweet! Nice vid, Mark!
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I think it's a great how-to video about the technique. Cant' wait until MEGs comes out with it's own Rinseless wash, but, last touch look like it works fine for regular maintenance.
                Last edited by Jossy92; Aug 8, 2009, 07:30 PM. Reason: Someone keeps taking letters out after I press save.
                Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Mark, wouldn't it make more sense to use the two bucket method of rinsing the wash mit out before returning for more wash solution?

I like your idea, but I cringed when I saw how black the mit got.
                  r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
                    Mark, wouldn't it make more sense to use the two bucket method of rinsing the wash mit out before returning for more wash solution?

I like your idea, but I cringed when I saw how black the mit got.
                    The mitt was only black from the wheels. After doing the entire car [body] it was hardly any different than when I started.

In fact, if you see the clip where I am wiping off the rear bumper that was the final section washed and you can clearly see how white the mitt still was.

I have tested 1 and 2 bucket methods and found 2 buckets unnecessary on a mostly clean vehicle. If the car has gone 2+ weeks between washes I usually use the 2 bucket method.

Comment

Awesome video Mark! Props to you on testing this out to get it to where it is!! Now why did you hold out on us so long!!!

On a serious note, this is a great idea and Im very interested to give this a try! Thanks a ton for the video as Ive been looking for a good intermediate wash

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                        The mitt was only black from the wheels. After doing the entire car [body] it was hardly any different than when I started.

In fact, if you see the clip where I am wiping off the rear bumper that was the final section washed and you can clearly see how white the mitt still was.

I have tested 1 and 2 bucket methods and found 2 buckets unnecessary on a mostly clean vehicle. If the car has gone 2+ weeks between washes I usually use the 2 bucket method.
                        Understood.

As for me, I only have daily drivers, and they get washed about every 2 to 3 weeks. The two bucket method would fit me better.

I don't have Last Touch, as I am still going through my supply of Final Detail. I reckon FD would work just as well though.
                        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
                          Awesome video Mark! Props to you on testing this out to get it to where it is!! Now why did you hold out on us so long!!!

On a serious note, this is a great idea and Im very interested to give this a try! Thanks a ton for the video as Ive been looking for a good intermediate wash
                          You're welcome. Give it a shot- I'm confident you will like this method.

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
                          Understood.

As for me, I only have daily drivers, and they get washed about every 2 to 3 weeks. The two bucket method would fit me better.

I don't have Last Touch, as I am still going through my supply of Final Detail. I reckon FD would work just as well though.
                          One thing to consider is that with this rinse-less option you can wash your vehicle in 15 to 20 minutes start to finish, including cleanup. I used to wash my car realistically once every 2 weeks, but now I sometimes wash twice a week because it is so quick and easy. Also, with a traditional wash you are limited to certain hours of the day, but with this you can do it any time day or night if you have a garage.

As for using Final Detail, I have not tried that, but I would point out that A.) Last Touch has the highest lubricity rating out of ALL of Meguiar's QDs, and B.) It is still very effective when diluted 50/50 as clay lube. It might be a tad safer to go with Last Touch due to the high dilution ratio.

Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                            As for using Final Detail, I have not tried that, but I would point out that A.) Last Touch has the highest lubricity rating out of ALL of Meguiar's QDs, and B.) It is still very effective when diluted 50/50 as clay lube. It might be a tad safer to go with Last Touch due to the high dilution ratio.

Just a thought
                            I can't judge anything about LT until I try it, but I find that a 50/50 mix of FD & water is too slick to be used as a clay lube in my opinion. I now use a 25/75 mix of FD & water for claying.
                            r. b.

Comment

Mark, great video!

I've tried Last Touch in the manner you describe and it worked seemingly as well as ONR for me. That said, while I hated the smell of ONR at first, Last Touch just smells downright weird when mixed for no rinse washing, now that I'm used to ONR!

I do feel that ONR mixed as a quick detailer seems to have more dirt dissolving power than Last Touch, even when in it's 50/50 mix so I carry ONR detailer in my trunk for the occasional bird bomb and for pre-treating bug splatter on the front of the car, irregardless of the actual wash method. Hopefully someone at Megs will give the appropriate squint a swift kick in the rear to get busy and come up with an officially sanctioned rinseless wash.

So, great video, perhaps a more "tow the company line" type video might have been better to start, but honestly, you're doing great and I'm looking forward to your next chapter.

Three thumbs up and all that.....

Regards

Kaptain "I sure ain't that photogenic" Zero

PS: For those who may NOT have watched the TV show "Bones", the term "squint", refers to scientists and I use that term rather affectionately. People with minds capable of laser beam focus have always impressed and intrigued me, I only wish I could meet and get to know more of them!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');