• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using swirl x after waxing car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using swirl x after waxing car?

I recently washed my car (black) with ONR (optimum no rinse) and then applied the optimum spray car wax.

I noticed some swirls the next day and hurried and picked up swirl x from the local Kragen auto parts. I've read and heard so many good things about it.

I tried using swirl X with a round applicator microfiber, and then also with a soft microfiber towel. I applied a small amount, then rubbed at the swirled area with moderate pressure. Swirl X went on pretty easy and it wasn't difficult to get the excess off.

Problem is, seems like my car has MORE swirls in the area that I used swirl x on. At first I thought it may have been my round polish applicator microfiber, so then I went to a soft microfiber towel. Not only did swirl x not seem to work, it seemed to add noticeable swirls!!

Is this because I am mixing swirl x with a surface that has a coat of wax on it? What can I do to remedy the swirl problem? First wash off the wax??

Help!

Re: Using swirl x after waxing car?

You can go straight ahead with swirlX.But I always think it's better to clean the area first and remove wax aswell.It prevents the product from mixing with the other and cause smearing.I have noticed this with scratchX.

After washing/drying,clay the area that you are going to work on. It will help you to see what you are doing aswell.

How are you working with the applicator?

Comment

So I washed, waxed with ONR. The next day I did a quick detail first, and then attempted Swirl X. I feel like I am ruining my trunk!!

I am applying a small amount onto the applicator, and then rubbing in a circular motion and then side to side and up and down. I am using a good amount of pressure. I work the product into the paint surface until it is practically gone, then buff out the rest with a soft microfiber cloth.

I'm pretty sure I am using the product as directed.

Comment

Not all micro fibers are created equal. I bought some cheap ones once and they definately marred my paint.
        Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Yeah just make sure your applicator, paint, AND towel are 100% clean and good quality. I also have a black car and when I use any of Meguiar's paint cleaners, the finish looks so good that I almost want to just keep my car in the garage and eat pancakes off it every morning for the rest of my life. If the applicator, towel, and car are 100% clean, you won't get swirls because it's not possible; swirls are created by pieces of grit rubbing up against the paint.
          -HealthyCivic
          Check out the glossary

Comment

I am planning to do WASH-SwirlX-Yellow Wax next week. Can I skip the clay step? Don"t think that my car needs clay now because the paint surface is extremely smooth.

Also, I plan to use the yellow foam applicator.

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
              I am planning to do WASH-SwirlX-Yellow Wax next week. Can I skip the clay step? Don"t think that my car needs clay now because the paint surface is extremely smooth.

Also, I plan to use the yellow foam applicator.
              That is perfectly okay to skip the Claying step if you feel you car doesn't need it. If you have the time though, I would just go ahead and do it, should only take 20 minutes tops.

The yellow foam applicator is great for your plan too.

Ryan
              Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
                If the applicator, towel, and car are 100% clean, you won't get swirls because it's not possible; swirls are created by pieces of grit rubbing up against the paint.
                And like you said, if inferior quality products are used to apply them you will get micromarring. I have a feeling that is what you are getting. What type of car do you have? Some vehicles have very soft paint. BMW has a black paint that mars when you look at it wrong!
                Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

I apply a small amount onto a microfiber applicator pad
                  then put my hand flat on the pad and rub the product in.

It doesn't seem to help at all... do I need more force? I am going to pick up some Meguiar's applicator pads and see if it works

Comment

My two cents. The only time that I use clay is when the surface of my trucks (or bikes) really need it. Because of where I live and how I use my vehicles, I typically don't need it -- ever. The mild cleaners in ColorX or even NXT "git-r-done" just fine.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lightning View Post
                      And like you said, if inferior quality products are used to apply them you will get micromarring. I have a feeling that is what you are getting. What type of car do you have? Some vehicles have very soft paint. BMW has a black paint that mars when you look at it wrong!
                      Black Lexus IS. I've heard that Lexus paint is very soft.

Comment

Originally posted by yOyOYoo View Post
                        I apply a small amount onto a microfiber applicator pad
                        then put my hand flat on the pad and rub the product in.

It doesn't seem to help at all... do I need more force? I am going to pick up some Meguiar's applicator pads and see if it works
                        From my experience, the Meguiar's foam pads, like the purple one that is included with the NXT 2.0, are the best for avoiding pad-induced marring. You can also order them in 4-packs (gold color) from ADS' website.

Some black paints are extremely delicate, as others have noted.

Comment

I agree with the need for a clean foam applicator- microfiber and terry applicators are going to be more aggressive and more likely to swirl.

If you still get swirls you need to reduce the physical pressure on your final few passes to "back out" the depth of correction.

Comment

I clayed my car 2-3 months ago and by touching the car surface, there is no need to repeat this process just yet.

I probably can get away with just doing NXT-2.0 next week. However, my friend just bought me a bottle of SwirlX from Buffalo and I can't wait to try it. My understanding is this SwirlX kind of combining the Clean and Polish steps into one.

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
                              My understanding is this SwirlX kind of combining the Clean and Polish steps into one.
                              SwirlX is a paint cleaner. You can still polish afterward if you want with a pure polish (a polish with no abrasives).
                              -HealthyCivic
                              Check out the glossary

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');