• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to remove yellow headlight haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove yellow headlight haze

Howdy all i have a 96 grand cherokee and the headlights look awful and i was just wondering if theres a certain process on how to remove the yellow crud. [edited by: 2hotford ]

I personally haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things about
    '04 6s 5-door / '05 Acura MDX

Comment

I have read posts of people actually using fine grade sandpaper followed by polishing with different products to bring back the clarity. If they were real bad, I would purchase some new ones depending on how much $$$ they were or perhaps searching a salvage yard for some in better condition that might require less cleaning if any.
      "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

It would be helpful if you could post some pictures of the problem.

For normal hazy headlights PlastX does an amazing job of clearing them up.

Chris
        Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Re: how to remove yellow headlight haze

Originally posted by JeepZJlover
          Howdy all i have a 96 grand Cherokee and the headlights look awful and i was just wondering if theres a certain process on how to remove the yellow crud. [edited by: 2hotford ]
          Hi JeepZJlover,

Pick up a bottle of PlastX and apply with a piece of terry cloth towel.

If you look carefully at this motorcycle windshield, you will see a spot that is clear while the rest of the windshield is hazy looking. I sanded this windshield down with #2000 grit wet-sanding paper and then polished a small area crystal clear using ScratchX and a piece of terry cloth for my applicator.

ScratchX works great for removing defects and restoring clarity.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Re: how to remove yellow headlight haze

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Hi JeepZJlover,

Pick up a bottle of PlastX and apply with a piece of terry cloth towel.

If you look carefully at this motorcycle windshield, you will see a spot that is clear while the rest of the windshield is hazy looking. I sanded this windshield down with #2000 grit wet-sanding paper and then polished a small area crystal clear using ScratchX and a piece of terry cloth for my applicator.

ScratchX works great for removing defects and restoring clarity.

Mike
            Mike,

The motorcycle windshield is sooooo clear, I can not even see it in your thread!!!

Sorry Buddy, could not resist!!!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Application Methodology:
              ·Use a plastic polish Meguiar’s PlastX or Renovo Plastic Cleaner
              ·Plastic Cleaners can be used to clean and condition Perspex as well as flexible plastic but is not suitable for use on glass.
              ·Prior to application of a plastic polish ensure that the surface is clean and free from dust particles by washing with a soft cloth and warm water.
              ·It is not advisable to use cleaning detergents on plastic.
              ·Shake the bottle thoroughly. Plastic polish can be hand or machine applied
              ·Using a random orbital buffer with a 3.5-inch backing plate and a 4-inch (LC White) polishing pad or a terry cloth applicator
              ·Place a small dab (about ½-inch diameter) of plastic polish on the foam pad or applicator.
              ·Place the pad on the lens surface and turn on the machine (speed #4)
              ·Polish the lens repeatedly in a left-to-right and an up and down pattern.
              ·Continue polishing until all the polish is gone
              ·Wipe the lens with a damp Microfiber towel
              ·Inspect the lens, repeat the polishing process i2-3 times as necessary

Plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and oxidation (yellowing)

I prefer to use a polishing method before turning to 'wet-sanding'

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
              justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Re: Re: how to remove yellow headlight haze

Originally posted by 2hotford
                Mike,

The motorcycle windshield is sooooo clear, I can not even see it in your thread!!!

Sorry Buddy, could not resist!!!

Tim
                Whoops! Here it is,

Note the time I posted that, 6:04am,, I was in a hurry as I was heading out the door... I'm actually going to snag a better picture today that will better show the ability of this product.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's a pic of what PlastX can do. Of course your results may vary since some of the haze may be located on the inside of the light housing. This will limit your access to both sides of the lens.

Good luck! I think this pic is getting worn out, but the product works as advertised.

Comment

I really truly think mine are bad enough that im going to have to do the wet sanding method. Any body have any instructions on how to go about doing that.

Comment

Plastic Lighting Restoration - A Guide to... GSRstilez

'the new line of blackfire car care products has given the car detailer pro and weekend warrior, the perfect tools for perfect results' just

~Hope this helps~

JonM
                      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey,

Be REAL careful what plastic you sand!!! As I have mentioned in posts before, some factory headlights have a coating on them. This coating does not respond well to sanding!! Trust me on this one!! Do a test spot in a hidden area. If the plastic starts to turn white, and does not respond to polishing, do not sand the lenses. Instead, use PlastX and buff them thoroughly.

Just IMHO!

Tim

Comment

Here i finally got this headlight done heres a pic sorry its not very good my cameras cheap and catches to much light glare. And 2hotford just for the record i think i actually just sanded that coating you speak of off. Is it kinda like a clear coat.

Comment

Hey,

The light looks great!!! If it had the coating, you would have found white blotchy spots as you wore through. I believe it is a UV film, that does look like clear coat. Sometimes, it can be polished back-off; other times, it can not. But if the lights were that bad, then any improvement is still an improvement!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                              Hey,

Be REAL careful what plastic you sand!!! As I have mentioned in posts before, some factory headlights have a coating on them. This coating does not respond well to sanding!! Trust me on this one!! Do a test spot in a hidden area. If the plastic starts to turn white, and does not respond to polishing, do not sand the lenses. Instead, use PlastX and buff them thoroughly.

Just IMHO!

Tim
                              Looks to me like they coat it with an acrylic like substance. I've seen it on a scratched safety goggle that I used ScratchX on. It removed the scratches but it also took off this "film".

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');