• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wasting car wash solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasting car wash solution

How much water do you guys use to wash your car? I am talking about in your WASH bucket. First, I used to use 4 gallons (4 ounces of car wash solution), then every time I am finished with my car wash, I still have plenty of car wash "solution." So, I started trying 3 gallons (3 ounces of car wash solution), then I only have a bit of car wash solution left after each car wash. I am using a Grit Guard in this wash bucket. Am I risking of contaminating my wash solution faster? Or NO, because I am using a Grit Guard? Thanks!

Re: Wasting car wash solution

Are you using two buckets, with a Grit Guard in the rinse bucket also?

If so, then I would not worry about the soap, and you can use as little as you like. 3 gallons would be fine.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

For my wheels and tires, I use two gallons of water w/ two ounces of Deep Crystal Car Wash.

For the rest of the car, I use three gallons of water w/ three ounces of whatever car shampoo I am presently using (at the moment I am working myself through Megs' Wash & Wax). Three gallons seems to be sufficient, even for the CR-V.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by EPHIOS View Post
        I am using a Grit Guard in this wash bucket. Am I risking of contaminating my wash solution faster? Or NO, because I am using a Grit Guard? Thanks!
        You are definitely at risk of contaminating your wash solution. I can almost guarantee you are contaminating your wash solution.

Ideally, you should be using 2 buckets. One for wash soap/water and one with clean rinse water. If you only have one Grit Guard, you should put it in the rinse water bucket.

Likely part of the reason you are so much soapy water is due to the fact that you are not using a 2 bucket method.

Rinse your wash mitt in the rinse bucket and lightly wring it out. Then pick up soapy solution from your wash bucket.

You can give your vehicle a slight spray with the hose just prior to using the wash mitt on it. I'm always spraying my vehicle as I go to avoid water spots.

You should be able to wash your vehicle with 2 gal. of wash soap/water max. and that's with a Grit Guard in the bottom. If the Grit Guard is in your rinse bucket you might even be able to wash you vehicle with 1 gal. of wash soap/water

Comment

edit:

Comment

Anyone have a link on where i can get a grit gaurd?? I use the two bucket method but never knew of a grit gaurd.
            Am i obsessed?? A car is the second biggest financial investment for most people, why not keep it looking better than new?

Comment

gritguard.com
              autodetailingsolutions.com
              autogeek.net
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I am using the TWO BUCKET method with two grit guards.

Comment

Originally posted by EPHIOS View Post
                  I am using the TWO BUCKET method with two grit guards.
                  If that is the case, then I wouldn't worry about the soap solution getting low in the wash bucket. I guess it really depends on how fast you are washing and how much you agitate the wash water. If you don't agitate the wash water, the sediment will remain at the bottom. The key is to try not to contaminate your wash water.

Here is a trick that I use to use very little wash water without scratching my black truck. I wash my vehicle with 10 microfiber clothes. I use a new cloth one on each panel. I never contaminate my wash water. Only fresh clean clothes ever go into the wash bucket.

I then throw the used microfibers into my rinse bucket and there they can sit until I do laundry.

I hope that helps.

Comment

I agree. If it works for you, you should be fine. Especially since you are using, 2buckets and grit guards.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks you guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');