• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's D140 Wheel Brightener or apc for heavy brake dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's D140 Wheel Brightener or apc for heavy brake dust

I trying to get what i think is heavy brake dust maybe even brake pad parts ( off of poslished aluminum wheels. Which would be better Meguiar's D140 Wheel Brightener (not recommended for polished aluminum) or apc? I've tried Meguiar's hot rims wheel cleaner and it took alot of it off but has taken hours and many applications. It is a hard black substance that only seems to come off with the wheel cleaner polish doesnt even touch it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Meguiar's D140 Wheel Brightener or apc for heavy brake dust

I love WB, but I wouldn't recommend it in this scenario since you have polished aluminum wheels. Can you feel the black substance or is it staining? If it's staining, I would try some wheel polish. If you can feel it, try a clay bar or possibly some Tarminator (although, I'm not sure if it's approved for polished aluminum).
    -Mike

Comment

I would also go with the apc. You could vary the strength of it to suit your needs.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Driven Auto Detail View Post
        I love WB, but I wouldn't recommend it in this scenario since you have polished aluminum wheels. Can you feel the black substance or is it staining? If it's staining, I would try some wheel polish. If you can feel it, try a clay bar or possibly some Tarminator (although, I'm not sure if it's approved for polished aluminum).
        you can feel it its is almost bonded to the wheel. It wont come off with polish I've tried top brite, wenol, and meguiars polishes and they have no effect on it. you can catch it with your finger nail. The hot rims seems to be the only thing to make a dent in it its coming off but very slowly and with tons or hand scrubing. Its black in color if i can get a good picture of it i'll post it. Wheels look 80% better from start, they were almost a gold color from the stuff on them.

Comment

Is it dried up tar perhaps?

Comment

It sounds like a clay bar would be the fastest/safest course of action to me. I use APC on wheels all the time, but it's not strong enough for baked on brake dust. Hot Rims wheel cleaner is the strongest that's recommended for polished aluminum, however low dilutions of WB will work you just risk etching/staining the aluminum.

Comment

Well i got it off what ever it was. 1 and 1/2 bottles of hot rims, 1 nonsrcatch scoth brite pad (stolen from the kitchen), pressure washer and lots and lots of time, water and scrubbing. Man are my hands dried out. What ever it was it was tuff stuff wasn't petroleum based as wd-40 wouldn't make a dent in it, or bug and tar remover. Polished them up and then put a good coat of quick wax on them. Don't bother trying eagal 1 for aluminum that stuff was a waste of time and money Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');