• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my new G110v2 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my new G110v2 today

Well, I'm very excited.
    The new G110v2 arrived this evening. I bought the 6 pack special from ADS. I also got 1 gallon of D151, 3 bottles of NXT 2.0 and the headlight restoration kit. I don't really need all of that stuff, I have a new car but I have some neighbors and friends that need help and thought it would be good chance to practice and hone my skills on their cars.
    I've been reading the forum for some time and watching videos. I thought the backing plate was supposed to have a little rubber nub in the center to help center your pad, there's a place for one. I've searched the box and nothing. Is it normal for one not to be included, do you purchase that separately or does one come with different size backing plates?
    Thanks to everyone on the forum for sharing your tips and videos, I hope to contribute soon.
    Skip

Re: Got my new G110v2 today

There is nothing that goes in the middle of the backing plate. Just put the backing plate into the pad and the centering comes from aligning the plate with the inlay of the pad.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Did you purchase Soft Buff 2.0 pads?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
        Did you purchase Soft Buff 2.0 pads?
        Yes sir, I got 3 yellow and 3 black to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper1 View Post
          Yes sir, I got 3 yellow and 3 black to start with.
          Good for you, you'll be glad you have a few of each, especially the W8207 yellow polishing pads.

No need to worry about the little circle in the middle of the pad, like the older pads. The W68 backing plate will fit perfectly in the recessed portion of the Soft Buff 2.0 pads. You still have to eye it up a bit, but in general centering them is a piece of cake.

Enjoy the new polisher. I know I was really excited when I first received mine. I still love it. It's one of my favorite tools. I used to be paranoid about scratching up my black truck, but now I don't sweat it. I feel empowered, now that I know I can take care of it.

Let us know how things go.

Comment

I was worried because I had seen a post somewhere here that showed the rubber nub and how you could use it to align your pad on there.
            I do have a question, I'm wondering just how tight I should get the backing plate, as tight as I can and then some? I read where someone's plate came flying off and did some damage.
            Another thing, I've read where some have had trouble with the handle coming loose, well I tightened mine to the point it's very stiff and hard to move. Any direction there?
            I'm not too nervous.

Comment

Do NOT tighten the backing plate very much. Just spin it on until it bottoms out and snug it just a tad. Don't worry about it flying off. The way the pad spins only tightens it in use. The worst thing you could do is to over tighten the backing plate. Then you run the risk of the bolt snapping off in use.

If you are worried about the handle coming loose, you could apply a mild thread lock to the Allen bolts. That's better than over torquing the bolts. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I personally do not use the D handle.

Comment

Congrats on the G110v2. You are going to love using it.

You might want to get a 7207 cutting pad and some microfiber bonnets in the future. Makes wax removal a breeze.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
                  Do NOT tighten the backing plate very much. Just spin it on until it bottoms out and snug it just a tad. Don't worry about it flying off. The way the pad spins only tightens it in use. The worst thing you could do is to over tighten the backing plate. Then you run the risk of the bolt snapping off in use.

If you are worried about the handle coming loose, you could apply a mild thread lock to the Allen bolts. That's better than over torquing the bolts. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I personally do not use the D handle.
                  Good morning and thanks for that good tightening advice. I apologize for the stupid questions but when you don't know and there's no one to show you, you have to put your pride aside and just ask. I've seen some use the handle and some that don't. I just need to get out and find out what's comfortable for me.

J. A. Michaels Congrats on the G110v2. You are going to love using it.

You might want to get a 7207 cutting pad and some microfiber bonnets in the future. Makes wax removal a breeze.

Believe it or not I ordered 6 MF bonnets and after making the order, I realized I should have gotten a 7207. I'll get that on my next order.

Tomorrow morning I'll do an ugly duckling make-over....hopefully.
                  Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skipper1 View Post
                    I apologize for the stupid questions but when you don't know and there's no one to show you, you have to put your pride aside and just ask.
                    Exactly... we all were there at one time and we're all constantly learning. Even pros like Mike Phillips likely learn something every day.

I guarantee you'd feel a lot more silly making the trip to the hardware store for an easy out kit to remove the stem of the backing plate from the body of the G110v2 had you torqued it right up. Then you get to go online and spend $20 - $30 on a new backing plate to get back to work repairing the damage the old one caused as it skidded across your paint.

There is a ton of information on this site, but there is sooo much that it often becomes overwhelming and difficult to find it.

Feel free to ask any questions no matter how big/small they may seem.

Comment

Congrats on your new purchase, everyone should own at least one DA!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');