• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microfiber System 5" Backing Plate Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microfiber System 5" Backing Plate Question

Hi everyone!

I currently have a LC 5" backing plate and for this reason, I didn't buy the Microfiber System 5" Starter Kit. I only bought the 5" cutting and finishing discs and their corresponding 16oz liquids. Now I've been reading a lot of threads that the backing plate plays a crucial role in the success of this system and the reason is the "micro" hook and loop system in the Meguiar's backing plate (W67DA). My question is whether the 5" LC backing plate have the "micro" hook and loop system? Will it work as effectively as the W67DA or do I need to get the Meguiar's backing plate?

Thanks for your time and input!
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Re: Microfiber System 5" Backing Plate Question

Meguiar's recommends their W67DA backing plate with 5" microfiber discs for ultimate results.

I think LC backing plate is also micro-hook system though.

Comment

I don't think you will necessarily see a difference in the polishing results, but your pad life may suffer from the higher temps the LC plates generate when used with the MF system.
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
        Meguiar's recommends their W67DA backing plate with 5" microfiber discs for ultimate results.

I think LC backing plate is also micro-hook system though.
        Thanks for the response Greg!!!

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
        I don't think you will necessarily see a difference in the polishing results, but your pad life may suffer from the higher temps the LC plates generate when used with the MF system.
        Thanks for your response Chad!

Why is that so? If what Greg says is true then it shouldn't generate more heat that the W67DA backing plate right? I've read somewhere that it's the finger length of the hook and loop system that's the culprit of unwanted heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
          Thanks for the response Greg!!!

Thanks for your response Chad!

Why is that so? If what Greg says is true then it shouldn't generate more heat that the W67DA backing plate right? I've read somewhere that it's the finger length of the hook and loop system that's the culprit of unwanted heat.
          Could be the construction of the backing plate too...I'm honestly not sure though. The one MF cutting pad I had fail during testing was when I was using the LC backing plate. Granted I was running at higher speeds too.

Jason did mention to me how they took temperature readings in three places during testing, and the W67DA plates always ran cooler.

I'd say if you are getting good results and your pads are holding up well then you are probably fine using the LC plate. However, if you stat having issues with pad failures I would look at replacing that LC backing plate before anything.

Rasky
          Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
            Could be the construction of the backing plate too...I'm honestly not sure though. The one MF cutting pad I had fail during testing was when I was using the LC backing plate. Granted I was running at higher speeds too.

Jason did mention to me how they took temperature readings in three places during testing, and the W67DA plates always ran cooler.

I'd say if you are getting good results and your pads are holding up well then you are probably fine using the LC plate. However, if you stat having issues with pad failures I would look at replacing that LC backing plate before anything.

Rasky
            Thanks Chad! If the W67DA runs cooler then I might just get the BP to ensure proper requirements are met when using the MF discs. I just don't want them to fail because these pads are so expensive LOL!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');