• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 doing more than 83?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 doing more than 83?

I recently purchased a 2002 Audi A6. It is a dark metallic blue. The car came from Conneticut (I'm in CA), and I have a feeling the previous owner went thru automatic car washes a lot. There are a lot of fine horizontal scratches/swirls all over.

I received my G100 last week, and my #83, #80 and extra pads on Friday. So, Saturday was detail day

I started with NXT wash, then used a Clay Magic fine claybar. (The claying appeared to add some more scratches? There were very few contaminates on the clay when finished)

I started with #80 on a W8006 on the trunk. Applied and removed in 3 sections across the trunk. I noticed some improvement, and decided to go for a 2nd pass. Again more improvement, but still a little bit of swirls, so made a 3rd pass. After the third pass the majority of the swirls are gone. Since it took 3 passes, I decided to try #83 on the quarter panel, figuring #83 followed by #80 is only two passes.

I worked the #83 back and forth/up and down with medium pressure. It seemed like after about 2 passes over any given area, the #83 had broken down to a light haze. I removed with a MF and... it looked exactly the same as before. I noticed that the pad did not seem to rotate much at all (based on splatter on the backing plate it was oscillatiing, but not spinning), so I tried it again with less pressure. At this point the pad was constantly spinning, but the #83 never seemed to break down. After working it for a good 5-10minutes, I stopped, removed it with a MF and... again, no change.

Any hints on what I might be doing wrong? This was all done with the G100 set to 5, and W8006 pads (separate pad per product)

I am going to the Detail Day on Apr 2nd, so if I haven't figured it out by then, hopefully I can get Mike to show me how it's done.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

My first guess would be arm speed and head pressure, possibly the amount of product you're using.

Tell you what, we'll make sure on April 2nd we evaluate the process and dial in a system that works for you.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That's a good point about the #83 and #80. I feel that #80 starts out a bit more aggressive than #83 but breaks down quick. The #83 works longer before it breaks down. Just my .02.

Comment

My mother has a 2003 Toyota Camry that has been run through the automatic car wash's that has a bunch of swirls " Spider webbing " and i tried the #83 with different pads and was not impressed at all. The webbing is still there and i think i'm going to have to break out the rotary. I washed the car, clayed it, buffed with the pc with multiple pads and hit it 2-3 times and still cant get them out. The car still looks good, but i want the swirls out. What is better then #83 for the PC?

Thanks,
        Sellncars

Comment

sellncars,

#83 on a W8006 is the max. I've read that some people use #83 on W-7006 but Meg's doesn't recommend it.

I guess you'll have to use the rotary. It'll save you a lot of time.
          Remember that you are UNIQUE - just like EVERYONE ELSE.

XP

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');