• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between microfiber finishing and cutting disc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between microfiber finishing and cutting disc?

What is the difference in a practical application between to cutting and the finishing microfiber disks? I know they have different foam backings but what does that translate to in actual cutting and finishing abilities?

Specifically, I'm wondering if I were to use D300 on both pads would I notice any significant difference?
    Dans Tech Reviews | Wii Shopper

Re: Difference between microfiber finishing and cutting disc?

The fibers are different as well, so combining that with a specific backing gives higher level of aggressiveness on the cutting disc.

You'll see a difference in performance between both discs while used with the same liquid, just like foam pads.

When working on delicate/ sensitive paints foam pads could be used, instead of microfiber discs, with D300/ D301.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
      The fibers are different as well, so combining that with a specific backing gives higher level of aggressiveness on the cutting disc.
      Greg, can you give me your source on this? From my knowledge in talking to two of the biggest microfiber manufacturers is that all microfiber strand is the same. There are just a multitude of different weaves that makes up the variety of products. In this case (at least visually), it seems that the two are the same. Again, it seems visually that the only difference is the foam backing.
      Dans Tech Reviews | Wii Shopper

Comment

I learned it during 2011 AutoGeek Detail Fest from Jason Rose (Meguiar's Professional Line Manager):
        http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...tail-Fest-2011

Apparently under magnifying glass or microscope the differences can be seen clearly: thickness and density being most obvious.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');