• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paint sealant & wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint sealant & wax

Should you wax your car after putting on a paint sealant?

Re: paint sealant & wax

It's optional. Usually, people apply a carnauba wax on top of sealant because carnauba waxes add a bit of depth and wet look that sealants can't give. Sealant is more durable than carnauba, but at times, its shine is a bit sterile (even if sealants have crisper, more reflective shine). But if you're satisfied with the shine you get with carnauba wax, what you should do is maintain it with regular carwashes, quick detail and spray wax for extended durability.

Comment

Meguiars recommends two coats of something.

I just use two coats of the same product. Some people will do one synthetic (sealant) and then wax (carnuba).
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well I personally do MOST of the time, but then that depends on if it's a daily driver or not and if it sits outside vs in a garage.

One can do 2 coats of sealant like NXT 2.0, UW, or M21 and that would be fine.

Or they can add GC or M26 on top of the sealant to enhance the look if they want.

Whatever they choose to do it's recommended to maintain the finish with a quick detailer like UQD or M135 and a spray wax like UQW or D156.

Personally I think the finish can be maintained for a very long time between regular waxing if they use them when needed.

Comment

After completely stripping the old polish, wax, etc off of my vehicles, I lay down a coat of sealant. May also apply a second coat. Then I put a glaze over that and then top that off with a carnauba wax. I've found that the second coat of sealant, just like the first coat, needs to thoroughly dry before you apply it. One coat of a glaze and then I may put on two "thin" coats of the Carnauba.

Comment

Originally posted by Slidder View Post
            After completely stripping the old polish, wax, etc off of my vehicles, I lay down a coat of sealant. May also apply a second coat. Then I put a glaze over that and then top that off with a carnauba wax. I've found that the second coat of sealant, just like the first coat, needs to thoroughly dry before you apply it. One coat of a glaze and then I may put on two "thin" coats of the Carnauba.
            See if this helps out.
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Yep ~ It "did" help out. Tks for the link. When I said I put down a coat of glaze I should have said a coat of polish. I've bookmarked that link for future reference. I just finished using up all of Company's X products and am now in the process of learning about Meguiar's products, for which there are enough to make a guy start studying them for weeks. "Trial and error." When I bought the new 1 ton Dodge, the detail department was suppose to do a thorough detail. I can't "catch" the guy who did the work but whatever he put on the paint is a mess. Water doesn't bead up, shines but far far from a good shine. Run your finger over it and it still feels a little rough. He didn't even clay this new vehicle. Same goes for the Rubicon and Avalon. I'm in for a big job because I am stripping all three vehicles and starting all over again. But first, I need to get some good ideas on which of the Meguiar's products I want to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Slidder View Post
                Yep ~ It "did" help out. Tks for the link. When I said I put down a coat of glaze I should have said a coat of polish. I've bookmarked that link for future reference. I just finished using up all of Company's X products and am now in the process of learning about Meguiar's products, for which there are enough to make a guy start studying them for weeks. "Trial and error." When I bought the new 1 ton Dodge, the detail department was suppose to do a thorough detail. I can't "catch" the guy who did the work but whatever he put on the paint is a mess. Water doesn't bead up, shines but far far from a good shine. Run your finger over it and it still feels a little rough. He didn't even clay this new vehicle. Same goes for the Rubicon and Avalon. I'm in for a big job because I am stripping all three vehicles and starting all over again. But first, I need to get some good ideas on which of the Meguiar's products I want to use.
                Check these out Slidder

And these video's a lot of great how to's

Hope this helps to clears up some things.
                ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');