• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microfiber FINISHING pad for cutting? YES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microfiber FINISHING pad for cutting? YES!

I have been struggling to remove the defects, mostly swirls, bird dropping etching, and automatic wash marks from the previous owner on the single stage Onyx black paint on my 2006 Lexus IS350. The paint is quite hard compared to the paints on the other cars I have worked on. This is in stark contrast to most things I have read about Lexus paint, most claim it is very soft. In contrast, my 2006 Nighthawk black Acura was very soft and could be completely defect free with nothing more than M205 and a polishing pad. I expected the same results when I picked up my IS, but no go, the M205/polishing pad combo did nothing to remove the defects.

I now use a microfiber finishing pad with either Ultimate Compound, M105 (for the more stubborn areas) or M205 (for lighter swirls and toweling marks), followed by M205 on a foam finishing or foam polishing pad. A Griots orange pad with UC or M105 would work after many, many passes. Most lighter work can be done with the MF finishing pad and M205, and it is actually a great one step solution for my car. It finished down great with minimal marring, which can only be seen under a very strong LED spot light. However, me being me, I will always follow up with M205 and a foam finishing pad for the best possible finish.

I am very satisfied with the Meguiars microfiber finishing pad and UC/M105 combo too. It works very quickly and finishes down exceptionally with very little marring. Nothing that can't be cleaned up with M205 and a foam finishing pad. The Microfiber finishing pad is now my go to cutting pad. My favorite features of the microfiber pads is the easy of cleaning with a compressor after each pass, and the ability to get real close to the things like door handles, and other trim without the pads tearing apart. I have also found that using M105 produces less dust with the microfiber since you are cleaning it after every pass.

I have tried the MF cutting pad with D300 and though it worked, I found it marred quite a bit, and required a bit more extra polishing to clear it up. With the MF finishing pad I may have to do a few extra passes at the compounding stage, but I make up that time with a quicker final polish. Again, all the above is based on my Lexus, my wife's Honda responds quite differently, and loves foam pads.

A special thanks to Willis Windows and Wheels for opening my eyes to this possibility. You can see their work here, where they used a MF finishing pad and M205 for defect removal on Corvette. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...CQuartz-Finest

As Mike Stoops says, don't be afraid to try different combos, every car is different.
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');