• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Meters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Meters?

My city has just released its plans to gradually introduce water meters to the area where I run my business. Once they do I'm going to have to come up with water recyclation system or a different water source all together. I was wondering if any of you guys who don't have their own shop or main business is mobile detailing have encountered this dilemma yet? If you have, what was your solution?
    I'm open to any suggestions.

Hi Cole's Car Detailing,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Hopefully some of our Canadian detailers will chime in, as well as some of our American detailers. I know water rules and restrictions are a problem to be dealt with, I think this one reason waterless car washes have become more popular, not that they're the best answer, but when they restrict and regulate the water, you're not left with too many options.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You may want to look into Quick and Easy Wash was from Protectall which will help reduce the amount of water you use on a car to about 6-10 gallons and you have virtually no run-off.
      Last edited by travisdecpn; May 11, 2005, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Well you do live in vancouver, so rainwater collectors could be an option.

Nolan
        If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, .... is he still wrong?

Comment

I'm not a pro (and I don't play one on TV) so feel free to ignore anything I say...

It's one thing to have a meter (we've always had them here in drought-ville) but it's another to regulate usage.

Do you know how much they'll be restricting water usage? Will they impose recycling based on usage? On business type? Size? Number of employees? Will they demand recycling for everybody or is it only for high volume users?

Depending on your washing techniques you may find that you're already under the future limits or that you can stay under them with only minor changes to your process.

PC.

Comment

Water conservation is something of a joke here. We actually have lots of water, and people are accustomed to using lots. The trouble is with recent immigrants from places like Toronto, that feel guilty about using water. When we go more than 10 days without rain, they panic thinking it is the start of a decade long drought.

We'll end up with water meters to assuage their guilt trips. The reduction in consumption, if any, is not relevant.
            Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

A lot of times the water meter reading is used for mutable uses,
              1 how much water was used by the customer.
              2. how much was dumped down the sewer system.

I know in the town I work in it is not a flat rate for water. if you use 10,000 gallons or less it's one rate, if you use 10,000 or more the rate is higher per gallon.

If you are on a public sewer system and there going to use this reading for a sewer rate than water recycling system would be a must.

as of yet I have not seen a water recycling system public or privet.

good luck.
              Rich
              If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
              DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Thanks you all for your advice and input. I'll keep the rain barrel idea in mind.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');