• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fix for accidentally removing factory polyurethane leather coating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for accidentally removing factory polyurethane leather coating?

My name is Dan and I'm brand new to the forum. I have been using only Meguiar's on my cars for years now. I just recently purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm obsessively clean about my Jeep and because of this, I have a major problem that I'm desperately looking for input on. I purchased my Jeep out-of-state so when my plates came in, I used a razor and rubbing alcohol to remove the registration sticker from the front window. After I had done this, I was looking at something on my back seat and a drop of sweat from my forehead dripped on the middle backseat cushion. Without thinking, I used the same microfiber rag with the rubbing alcohol on it to wipe up the sweat. When I looked at the rag, there was black on it. My car is immaculate and only a month old so I knew that it wasn't dirt. I immediately freaked. Hours later I went outside to look at the spot and while all of the rest of the interior leather is a matte black, this spot was shiny black. I've been doing hours of research online and it seems that I most likely wiped the protective polyurethane coating from the seat. How screwed am I? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Somehow replace the polyurethane coating? I can't believe I did this. I even looked on the Mopar website and am considering buying a new leather cover for $500 and replacing the one I messed up. Man o man.

Re: Fix for accidentally removing factory polyurethane leather coating?

Bringing this one back from the (mostly) dead. Is there an answer or fix to the problem stated?

Comment

Originally posted by igloo View Post
      Bringing this one back from the (mostly) dead. Is there an answer or fix to the problem stated?
      Anyone?

Comment

I'd be surprised if you removed the coating by rubbing a little alcohol on the leather. What kind of leather is it?

Comment

Nothing wrong with the leather in my car. I just wanted to know if there was an answer / fix to the problem stated in the OP.

Comment

Didn't even notice how old this was. Hard to say without more information.

Comment

I don't know of a product from Megs but I like Colourlock Leather Shield:

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');