• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bird droppings caused fractured clearcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird droppings caused fractured clearcoat

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I looked around on the forums and didn't see anything similar.

I drive a 2014 Honda Accord with Blue Obsidian Pearl factory paint. A couple of weeks ago I noticed some bird droppings in the center of the roof and as soon as I got home I washed it off, but it was too late. The acids had already eaten through and cracked the clear and even a bit of the base. Very small pieces of the clear and base even chipped off. I dapped a little touch up paint (official Honda touch up paint) in some of the exposed spots but I decided to stop because I wanted to do it right.

The whole area is fairly small, not much bigger than my thumbnail. I know the only way to actually repair it is to just respray the roof, but I'm not willing to go that route for such a small spot that can barely be seen. All I'm worried about is being able to seal it off to keep the elements out and making it worse.

Here's what I had in mind:

1) Lightly wet sand to smooth out any rough edges.
    2) Apply some touch up clear coat (Amazon sells Toyota touch up clear coat that allegedly is safe for Honda paint) and let it dry overnight.
    3) Tape off surrounding area and wet sand, stepping up from 2000 to 3000 grit to level it off as much as possible. I know Honda base/clear can be very soft.
    4) Hit it with M105 on an orbital polisher, then M205 to finish it out. Wax later.

Just to clarify, I'm not worried about trying to "repair" it or conceal it. You can hardly notice it even standing right next to the car. I'm 6'1" and the only reason I can see it is because I know exactly where to look, so I don't really care how it will look afterwards, except for maybe trying to keep that area as level as possible without going too low and defeating the whole purpose. I have some decent experience with bondo and fiberglass, dry/wet sanding, prepping, etc.. but no experience in actually spraying. But this job shouldn't be out of my comfort zone.

Is this plan a bad idea? I just want to protect that spot. Is there a better way to do it, or is there a better product to use instead of touch up clear coat? My main concern is if the touch up clear will "soak" into the tiny cracks and seal them off. That's the only part I'm unsure of.

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks guys.
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');