Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10121314151617181920

Thread: Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish

Re: Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish

I have the base model Corvette so it has different brake pads than the Z51, Z06 and Grand Sport models. Those ones put out a ton of brake dust but lucky for me the base model brake pads are very low dusting. Combine that with the fact that I'm very easy on my brakes (I could drive for a few weeks before needing to clean the rims on my last Corvette) I'm hoping that UFF will allow me to greatly reduce the amount of time I need to spend cleaning the wheels (which are a gloss black, so they'll show brake dust even less too)

Registered Member

UFF worked perfectly fine for the wheels for me. I'm easy on the brakes and drive a normal car. But it was a joke how easy they were to clean. Like I said, only took it off because I happened to have extra coating left over and wanted to use it somewhere.

Here's another quick question. As mentioned, I have two coats of UFF on my new car but it's currently parked in my garage and there is a chance I might not get to drive it for a couple of months. Will the protection of UFF be just as good after all this time has passed, or does it start to deteriorate even when not exposed to the outside elements? So in other words, to get the maximum protection out of it, do I need to re apply another coat or two in the spring, or will that just be a waste of product?

^^ I reckon it will be a waste of product.

But seeing as it's so easy to apply, it won't hurt anything if you decide to do another coat (or two!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

I do worry about bird bombs etching my paint, since that's a real problem in the parking lot of my work, so I do want the maximum protection possible. So there is a high probability of me doing at least one more coat when the car comes out of storage But I am still curious as to whether or not the protection level goes down based on time if the car is out of the elements completely like mine is.

Hopefully Nick or someone else will chime in, but my view is that given enough time, a sealant like UFF will still degrade even if completely out of the elements. We're probably talking several years for UFF on a car left in the garage.

I think you said your car may be locked up for a few months, in which case I doubt there will be a noticeable difference in UFF's performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Registered Member

From a chemical standpoint, just about everything has a half-life. I'm under the assumption that when a manufacturer makes a durability claim, they are reporting durability in near ideal circumstances. So if Meguiars claims up to a year, that is likely in garage kept conditions with no extreme temperatures.
    Having said that, I'm going to assume the vehicle will get a wash when it comes out of storage. In that case, my opinion would be that you might as well add an extra 5 minutes and apply a fresh layer.

When I do bring it out it really shouldn't need a wash, but it should just have a light coat of dust on it (which I can easily remove with a microfiber and UQD)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    When I do bring it out it really shouldn't need a wash, but it should just have a light coat of dust on it (which I can easily remove with a microfiber and UQD)
    Of course that is up to you and how you feel about it when you take the car out. If it were me, I would put another layer on. From a chemical standpoint, chemicals tend to degrade quickly and then sort of "settle in" so the time needed for percentage of degradation from 0% to 20% is often much less than the time needed to degrade from 50% to 70%. Also, I know Meguiars lists a maximum of one year durability. I don't know at what point Meguiars considered a product degraded. 50%? 80%? For me, and my purposes, that's too many unknowns for me to feel comfortable leaving it alone after a few months. You use so little product and it takes maybe 10 minutes at the most to apply.

So true, this stuff truly is super easy to apply, so there is a 99.9% chance that I'll be putting another coat of it on there when I bring the car out

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10121314151617181920

Thread Information