• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Megs headlight restoration product to use? & Do I need to use one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Megs headlight restoration product to use? & Do I need to use one?

I have never used anything for my headlights, but both pairs of headlights have been murky for years now.

I looked on the online Megs store and saw four products:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product/heavy-duty-headlight-restoration-kit

I'm not sure which would be best. I don't have any experience doing this, like I said. I don't need a show car shine here, just to remove at least 90% of the gunk on the headlights on both of my vehicles, and I'd be happy.

Which would be best for a newbie, who just wants to work off most of the gunk?

Second question: Not trying to hijack my own thread here, but as I was typing this post up, I was wondering if all of these products would help my visibility at night, or are they just to make the car look better? Honestly I can live with murky looking headlights--its just that I've noticed night visibility isn't that great, and I'd like to make my lights brighter if I can. If these products will only increase the shine on the plastic, but won't allow for more light to pass through, then I'd probably be wasting my time.

Re: Which Megs headlight restoration product to use? & Do I need to use one?

OK a third question---if anyone here has used any of these products, please let me know which ones worked. I'd like something simple, quick, easy, and effective. I'm not too demanding, as you can see.

Comment

Browsing another thread, I saw Mike Philips say that this does in fact illuminate night driving, so looks like this would be helpful for me.

OK I still would like some type of analysis of how these four products differ, and how users have liked/disliked any of them.

Comment

Depends how bad...

If you have some paint care products already, you could just use Ult Compound and wax....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I agree with Murr. A photo will help us decide on which product or products to recommend.

I will say that the perfect clarity kit is awesome.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I do have Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax, if that can be used in cleaning them up.

OK I did manage to take pics of both headlights. I'm really not sure how to upload attached photos here, so I created an album. Here is teh link to the album. I took 2 pics of each side, Driver AA & BB, and Passenger AA & BB. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/2565

Comment

They don't look that bad. One of these two kits would work for you. ULW is fine but it won't last as long on the compared to the dedicated coating in the headlight coating. You would have to reapply on a regular basis.

For a quick 2 step process that produces good results, this would be the way to go

https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/meguiars-two-step-headlight-restoration-kit.html

If you want to remove the current degraded coating on the headlights then this would be the kit to get

https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/meguiars-heavy-duty-headlight-restoration-kit.html

Links to both kits and how to use them

Using Meguiar's G2980 Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit w/new wipe on coating

Using Meguiar's G2970 Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks, that gives me some direction.

Incidentally--if I can use ULW, I think I'd like to give it a shot, and see how good it is, and how long it holds up. I really wouldn't mind reapplying ULW every time I wax the car anyways--it wouldn't be that much more than the wax job I'd already be doing.

If I did use ULW, what would I use ahead of time, to remove the crud? Now that I think about it, I don't even run soap water over them when I wash the car. I just ignore them.

Comment

You can try plastx but I believe the headlights are to the point where the UV coating needs to be sanded off.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Just called a guy at Meguiars 800 #, and he suggested that I bite the bullet and shell out a bit more money for the two step package. He said there was a basic package, but sounded like a few folks weren't happy with it, so that's definitely something to think about.

If the plastx would be strong enough to remove the residue, I think I'd be ok with that. But if it isn't good enough, it wouldn't make much sense trying to save some money, only to end up buying the two step restoration kit, after all.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');