• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking general advice for some repairs/detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking general advice for some repairs/detailing

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I had a little incident recently when my younger brother washed my car. He was trying to do a nice thing for me however, mistakes happen.
    Unfortunately, he took a sponge to the car- and removed bird poop on several sections with the abrasive side of the sponge. Thankfully, it's only limited to two relatively minor sections on the car.
    The left-most part of my hood is very scuffed up, and the right section of the rear is as well. There are also many swirl marks due to automated car washes. I looked around the internet and I purchased a few items.
    I purchased Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Wax. I also purchased two buckets, foam applicator pads, microfiber towels, and some clay bars. From what I understand, doing it by hand is not easy- however I allocated a day this weekend to work on the car. I have never done this before and do not want to damage my car anymore, so I'm looking for insight on what to do.

I have a few questions:
    Will the ultimate compound damage my paint?
    Is it safe to polish the entire car, or best to just do sections?
    Are there any recommended methods when applying compound/polish?

Thank you. Sorry for the long story!

Re: Seeking general advice for some repairs/detailing

Welcome to MOL.

UC and UP are paint safe. A test spot will tell you what the paint needs. Try UP first and if you need more correction then move to UC.

It is perfectly fine to polish in sections.

Have your advil ready because your arms are going feel like they are going to fall off LOL. It is not an easy task.

I don't know what color car it is but this is a good reference point if it is a dark colored car.

Check out Mike's technique here

Mike Phillips has another great article on doing things by hand

Man versus Machine The human hand versus Meguiar's G110! This Lincoln has moderate swirls and also straight-line scratches running from front to back,
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Seeking general advice for some repairs/detailing

Thanks, I should mention it's a 2014 IS250C - the color is called Nebula Grey Pearl

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');