• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UC and Red pad, build up on edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC and Red pad, build up on edges

Next question. I have noticed when I use UC on the red pad, I get build up on the edge of the pad. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? Not enough product? too much pressure?

Re: UC and Red pad, build up on edges

Residue will build up on any pad as you use them, this is why practicing residue management is extremely important.

If you are not familiar with Residue Management then I would highly do some research regarding this on the forum or even better yet research the Kevin Brown method as he has taught all of us the importance of residue management.

Can you answer the following questions and I will see if i can give you suggestions:

1) What Type of Machine are you using?
    2) What Speed are you using the UC at?
    3) How often are you cleaning the pad?
    4) Do you have access to compressed air?
    5) Do you have a Pad Brush?

Comment

Originally posted by Killerken View Post
      Residue will build up on any pad as you use them, this is why practicing residue management is extremely important.

If you are not familiar with Residue Management then I would highly do some research regarding this on the forum or even better yet research the Kevin Brown method as he has taught all of us the importance of residue management.

Can you answer the following questions and I will see if i can give you suggestions:

1) What Type of Machine are you using?
      2) What Speed are you using the UC at?
      3) How often are you cleaning the pad?
      4) Do you have access to compressed air?
      5) Do you have a Pad Brush?
      1 harbor freight
      2 5
      3 only did the roof so, NOT
      4 no
      5 no

Comment

Originally posted by Dkutz View Post
        1 harbor freight
        2 5
        3 only did the roof so, NOT
        4 no
        5 no
        Interesting only one panel and you are building up residue.

1) make sure you prime the pad completely.
        2) after younprime the pad apply 4 pea size drops to the pad
        3) put a mark on you backing plate to make sure you are watching pad rotation speed
        4) start at speed 1 to spread out the compound. No larger than a 2 by 2 area
        5) try using a speed setting of 4 to start
        6) make sure you are not applying to much pressure as this can generate to much heat. You will be able to check this by watching the mark you put on the backing plate.
        7) go out and purchase a pad brush. After ever two sections brush out the pad to help remove residue.

Since you don't have compressed air you will need to make sure you brush the pads more often. Until you get a pad brush you can use a Microfiber towel to clean the pad.

Watch some YouTube videos on pad cleaning.

Depending on the size of the vehicle you will probably need 4 to 6 pads to do the complete vehicle. Until you have this many pads I would wash the pad out every 2 to 3 panels to keep the pad clean.

Question: after you did the Roof how did the paint look?

I am guessing you have oxidized paint since you are using a red pad which from Meguiars is there most aggressive pad.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions

Comment

Paint looks good. Some ghosting/swirl marks even after polish, but I believe it's from moving the polisher too fast.

i moved to red pad because I had heavy water spots that I was having a hard time getting out.

Comment

Get yourself a brush or clean the pad on the fly to remove spent product and paint residue. There are many threads about cleaning the pad on the fly with a google search.

Meguiar's has a video on youtube on how to polish with ultimate compound and ultimate polish
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

1) the swirl marks could be coming from the buildup on your pad.
              2) since you don't have a pad brush yet (you really need to get one). If you have a scrub brush brush out your pad after each section. To ensure that you eliminate buildup. This build up could be dry compound or paint.

I know you are using UC for the cutting phase, what are you using for the polishing phase.

What types of pads do you have in your arsenal.

Remember to do a test area to see what is need to complete each step. Normally you do this on the pasanger side rear quarter panel to creat the step needed to correct the paint.

You may need to do another light compounding after the compounding with the red pad.

Remember there are full step and half steps that you can take when polishing.

Example: a half step would be to use a Microfiber cutting pad with a polish . What this does for you is it gives you a little extra cut since you are using a Microfiber cutting pad with a polish.

Since I don't know which polish you are using I would highly recommend looking into M205.

This is a amazing polish and you can continue to work it with a light mist of water on the area you are working to really refine the paint.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');