• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Tahoe - Mirror Bright Polishing Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Tahoe - Mirror Bright Polishing Wax

One of my uncles asked me if I had time to clean up the paint on his new to him 04 Tahoe. He picked this up used from a coworker for $1500 due to the transmission starting to slip. He was originally going to take out the vortec motor and transplant it to his 70 Camaro he is restoring. He bought this to replace the 99 2 door Tahoe his wife drives as it is having mechanical issues. His wife did not want the newer one but as he started to wash it and clean up the interior she started to change her tune lol. She told him that if I cleaned it up she would reconsider.

So he brought it by. I did not take too many photos as I wanted to get this one out the door quick.

First thing was a wash. I went the rinseless wash route with Optimum No Rinse.

Followed that up with claying with a Griot's Garage fine grade clay mitt and McKee's 37 N-914 mixed as a waterless wash for clay lube. Man this thing was like sand paper. The top was in really rough shape. The paint was turning brown as I was decontaminating the paint.

The hood and roof had started to oxidize. I went with Mirror Bright Polishing Wax on a burgundy foam cutting disc for the entire thing. I used it on my Rupes LHR15 MKII and Rupes Mini (with a 3" LC cutting pad).

The goal of this was to just do a quick clean and shine up the paint. Not necessarily remove swirls. Although Mirror Bright Polishing Wax did a pretty good job of removing light to moderate defects with the SMAT abrasives within the product.

Here is the test spot on the hood.

After. The sun is now somewhat visible. Needs a good compounding. At least the dingy appearance is now gone.

Final photos. I did a final wipe with D156.

Paint turned out great using Mirror Bright Polishing Wax. He was happy. His wife should be happy. I think this is going to be a keeper. I told him if he does decide to keep it then I will give it a polish to make it look even better and remove more of the defects from the paint. For now this will have to do. Thanks for looking.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Re: 2004 Tahoe - Mirror Bright Polishing Wax

Nicely done.

Cutting disc/pad with the Polishing Wax left the paint very glossy.
    No wonder the vehicle will be kept.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
      Nicely done.

Cutting disc/pad with the Polishing Wax left the paint very glossy.
      No wonder the vehicle will be kept.
      Thanks.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Do you recall what speed you used on the polisher for both the clay pad and applying MBPW?

Comment

Originally posted by Jtepn87 View Post
          Do you recall what speed you used on the polisher for both the clay pad and applying MBPW?
          Speed 4 on the Rupes LHR15 MKII. I used a griot's garage clay mitt and not a clay pad.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I should mention that each DA is different with speeds.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you again. I'm looking for a starting point, as this will be my first time using an AIO with my DA. I can only hope it turns out as nicely as the Tahoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtepn87 View Post
                Thank you again. I'm looking for a starting point, as this will be my first time using an AIO with my DA. I can only hope it turns out as nicely as the Tahoe.
                Anytime. I am sure it will turn out great. Post up photos when you get to it.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');