• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound

Tools I'm using: HF DA Polisher(PC rip off), HF Pads, Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Wax

I have a 2016 RAM 1500 with black metallic paint. A few months ago I had some scratches created from dragging a hose from the powersprayer on the side of the bed. This was all my fault and they looked terrible. I tried to fix them by hand with a microfiber towel and Ultimate Compound. It removed some of it but not all of it. After this I used a clay bar kit and used my DA with a Orange compounding pad with Ultimate Compound. It seemed to remove almost the entire scratch from the clear coat. I followed up with doing a coat of Ultimate Wax on the entire truck. It looked great. The next time I washed the truck I noticed the scratches re-surfaced. I did the same process again and it looked great.

I have a 2016 Mazda Miata that some "porter" really screwed the pooch on the paint. Had a ton of halograms and swirls in the paint. I used ultimate compound on the entire car and followed up with a Polish/Wax from EagleOne(I know not Meguairs). I noticed that after getting rained on for a solid day the swirls started to surface again.

My question here is: Does Ultimate Compount have a ton of fillers that just cover up the problem or does it actually correct the paint? Does washing the car make the work that I did with Ultimate Compound go away?

Re: Ultimate Compound

Welcome to MOL.

Ultimate Compound contains abrasives in it. It is derived from M105 which is a professional grade compound. So it removes swirls and scratches.

From reading your post it sounds like this is the first time you have tried machine polish. If so then I recommend to keep practicing your technique.

Also get yourself some better pads. Those HF pads have been known to not be that good. Meguiar's makes a great set of foam pads.

If you have not done so, consider changing the backing plate to a 5" rather than what came on the tool.

When it comes to compounding some paints react differently. Paints range from Hard, medium and soft. That is why you always read and hear about doing a test spot with the least aggressive combination.

I would recommend picking up ultimate polish or M205 and start with a test spot using it with a polishing pad. If you need more correction then you can step up to a compound and cutting pad. Compounding can leave DA haze and marring on some paints. On some paints compounding finishes out ready to be waxed. Polishing refines the finish and removes the defects imparted during the compounding phase as well as imparting gloss.

I am paraphrasing a bit so you will need to do a little more research.

I also have to ask how you are washing the vehicle and what tools (soap, wash mitt and towels) you are using. The wrong tools and technique can cause more damage.

Reference these videos to get more familiar with polishing.

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Ultimate Compound

I already have a 5" meguairs backing plate. I was just using HF pads because I can get them locally and they are cheap. I will look into getting some Meguairs pads.

I am using Meguairs Gold Car wash and a microfiber mitt.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');