• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously, how do people find time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, how do people find time?

Small rant here. My wife and the kids have done some damage to the family car, a 2014 Honda CR-V. The inside needs a very good cleaning, the outside is in respectable shape with one lovely light scratch on a door I'll get out. Now, I work nights, 8pm-6am. We also happen to own a house that provides zero shade, all day long. No trees, no time of the day when the house blocks the sun even. The way I figure, the only time I have to try is Saturday night (like tonight) after the kids (3 years and 6 months old) are in bed, because we both usually have Sunday off together and that's family time.

Tonight, my lovely 6 month old son, has apparently decided that mommy's vehicle can stay dirty. They were both in bed by 9, and he has woken up many times in the past 2 hours. I'm only trying to get the exterior done, rinse less wash (in the garage so I can see), clay bar, and I was going to throw a coating of UQW on until I can get more time to do the correction and polish the whole vehicle.

Now two and a half hours from when I started, I've gotten half the roof, and the drivers side doors done. That's it. It's a very quick process, but I get pulled away every 10 minutes it seems. So seriously, with all other obligations, how do people manage?

Re: Seriously, how do people find time?

Do the best you can. Instead of trying to do the whole car, work in sections. Like tonight, you could have stopped with just doing the roof (the hardest part anyway) and then that will be done and out of the way. Then next week, the hood and fenders, then the doors, etc.

Then when your kids get a little older (5?) have them start helping with small tasks on the lower half of the car. Maybe they will like "Doing stuff with Dad" and you can then make it a family project. My son (now 25) used to like to clean the wheels and tires with a brush, did he do a good job? No, but it was something he couldn't damage AND it was the "working with dad" he enjoyed ... until he discovered computers, now he's a cyber-nut.

If they like doing it, then they may develop it as a constructive hobby - one they could eventually make money after school. With the number of people getting lazy and turning to pro detailers, it's a likely possibility. At 51, I still do it on the side for a little "Car mod" money.

But for now relax, enjoy the kids while they're little, before they know everything (LOL). Once they get older, you'll miss the amount of time you spent with them - especially if they develop similar likes & hobbies.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

A few years ago my place was similar as far as providing zero shade, nearly zero space thanks to a super narrow driveway just bearly wide enough to back my car into, almost no privacy either because my neighbors front door was only a few feet away from my parking spot...

I did however find 2 places where I could getaway and detail my car in peace.. 1. any nearby park. There's always guaranteed to find plenty of trees for shade at a park. Plus nearly everyone there is doing their own thing so there's no one that can possibly bug you or interrupt you. I would just park in the parking lot and take advantage of the peace and quiet compared to my cramped driveway at home.

Another place that provides shade and welcomes car cleaning is the do it yourself coin op car wash bays. If you hit them at the right time such as the middle of the day or early morning weekdays there's no one there to rush you out of the stall and you can take your time. They have vacs too.

Comment

True. It was a struggle but I did manage to mostly finish the wife's car. Got lazy and threw UFF on at the end. Overall a huge improvement, but I was up until almost 2am. Next up is the challenge of the interior.

Comment

No kids here.

The cats don't require as much attention.

Comment

I'm with you, two kids a job and I work rotating shiftwork.

I ended up just talking to my wife, and Saturday mornings is my car time. She is free to enslave me the rest of the time as she sees fit.

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
              No kids here.

The cats don't require as much attention.
              Lol. Totally agree, except for tonight... Because it's Halloween I decided my cat was going to spend the evening indoors to ensure nothing happens to her. However she kept whining and complaining wanting to go outside.. I couldn't take it anymore, so she's currently locked in the garage for her own safety. Lol.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');