• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car: Interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car: Interior

My car is 2 months old and I like to treat the interior today. Should I use Ultimate Protectant or New car scent Protectant spray?

Unfortunately, local temp is 47F, it is warm but still not warm enough to wax.

Re: New car: Interior

I vote for UP.

Comment

You don't really need a protectant lol all you have to do is clean it, you are better of tinting your windows and using a windshield cover

putting the protectant makes people feel better but is not really needed, if you want to put protectant then just put quick wax

Comment

Either of those would be fine. Ultimate Protectant will have a little more gloss.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Cogos View Post
          You don't really need a protectant lol all you have to do is clean it, you are better of tinting your windows and using a windshield cover

putting the protectant makes people feel better but is not really needed
          I agree.

Comment

My windows were tinted 30% the week when I took delivery for the car. Personally, I do not like the windshield covers, are they helpful?

I maintained the interior of my previous car with UP and Meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner. It was my daily commute for 14 years and the interior looked great till the last day! However, it was a Mercedes CLK coupe and probably have better materials then my current Honda.

I think I will use the New Car Scent Protector now. I still have an almost-full bottle of UP. I will save it for later, maybe 2-3 years when the car is older. Hope UP does not expire!

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
              My windows were tinted 30% the week when I took delivery for the car. Personally, I do not like the windshield covers, are they helpful?

I maintained the interior of my previous car with UP and Meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner. It was my daily commute for 14 years and the interior looked great till the last day! However, it was a Mercedes CLK coupe and probably have better materials then my current Honda.

I think I will use the New Car Scent Protector now. I still have an almost-full bottle of UP. I will save it for later, maybe 2-3 years when the car is older. Hope UP does not expire!
              If your dash is made of plastic, it will protect it from the sun more any protectant is a hard surface that blocks the sun lights, no protectant would do this. Many of those protectants come with "shine" added to it in the form of silicon, the exact same thing in tire shine product, this will last a while but is a pita to remove, overtime, it may ruin the plastic

Most if not all leather seats of today have a clear coat layer on them, so you are not even really touching the leather at all, all you have to do is keep it clean, you can apply some quick wax, if it makes you feel better, it will "protect" the clearcoat on the seats, just like it does on the paint and wheels.

Meguiar as many other companies take into account that many people don't know this and come out with all leather cleaner, leather conditioners, leather extra conditioners, etc etc,

Comment

putting the protectant makes people feel better but is not really needed, if you want to put protectant then just put quick wax
                You know this how? Please provide your research to back this claim up.

Comment

If your dash is made of plastic, it will protect it from the sun more any protectant is a hard surface that blocks the sun lights, no protectant would do this. Many of those protectants come with "shine" added to it in the form of silicon, the exact same thing in tire shine product, this will last a while but is a pita to remove, overtime, it may ruin the plastic

Most if not all leather seats of today have a clear coat layer on them, so you are not even really touching the leather at all, all you have to do is keep it clean, you can apply some quick wax, if it makes you feel better, it will "protect" the clearcoat on the seats, just like it does on the paint and wheels.

Meguiar as many other companies take into account that many people don't know this and come out with all leather cleaner, leather conditioners, leather extra conditioners, etc etc,
                  Even the owner's manuals say to simply clean "leather" with a mild soap. It is finished leather or coated with a vinyl type coating. NOTHING penetrates it, not even the so called "conditioners". I occasionally use another brand because I like the smell, not the nonsense on the package. The only thing that is going to protect your seats, is keep it out of the sun as much as you can and get window tinting,

Comment

Originally posted by Selectchoice View Post
                    You know this how? Please provide your research to back this claim up.
                    Read here: https://www.best-auto-detailing-tips...nditioner.html

Largely driven by an industry wanting to sell more and more product, it is no wonder these manufacturers have not done their part to inform. With advances in chemical engineering and manufacturing, we now have car leather that is highly resistant to wear and tear of day to day use. Many of us cling to an outdated fantasy surrounding auto leather conditioner. Thoughts of massaging some glorified car leather conditioner into our car leather that can take it from good to great circulates society as valid and sound truth. Unfortunately, this is outdated thinking that is being propped up manufacturers whose main goal is to separate you from your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post

Largely driven by an industry wanting to sell more and more product, it is no wonder these manufacturers have not done their part to inform. With advances in chemical engineering and manufacturing, we now have car leather that is highly resistant to wear and tear of day to day use. Many of us cling to an outdated fantasy surrounding auto leather conditioner. Thoughts of massaging some glorified car leather conditioner into our car leather that can take it from good to great circulates society as valid and sound truth. Unfortunately, this is outdated thinking that is being propped up manufacturers whose main goal is to separate you from your money.
                      Blueline, my question to Cogos was related specifically to interior protectants, not leather cleaners/conditioners. The OP was asking about interior care and maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Selectchoice View Post
                        Blueline, my question to Cogos was related specifically to interior protectants, not leather cleaners/conditioners. The OP was asking about interior care and maintenance.
                        Sorry, I took it as all being the same - protectants, conditioners, etc. If the OP was asking about interior care and maintenance, would not leather seats be included? Anyway, in my opinion, protectants, conditioners, etc. all are needless.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post

So would this be a useless product? I purchased this to treat my brand new “Vat dyed leather” interior

Comment

Originally posted by se9303 View Post

So would this be a useless product? I purchased this to treat my brand new “Vat dyed leather” interior
                            For me, it would serve no useful purpose on my automobile leather seats. Most auto leather is finished or coated with a vinyl like surface which nothing penetrates. In my opinion it is not going to do anything except clean the seats (and make them smell nice) and you can clean your seats with far less expensive mild soap and water as it probably says in your owners manual. That said, my horse saddles have to have a conditioner, to replace lost oils, clean horse sweat, etc, and I have to use equestrian specific leather cleaner and conditioner. If the saddles and general horse tack was the same as the finished leather in automobiles, I would simply hose them with a garden hose. This is my feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by se9303 View Post

Give it a shot. It has a great scent. Think of the coating on the leather like clear coat. You are essentially adding a sacrificial layer on top of the seats. Abrasion will end up removing it over time. Whether it actually nourishes the leather or not is not a big deal.

As a matter of fact I ended up using a leather coating from one of the ceramic coating manufacturers on my cars with leather seats as a sacrificial layer.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');