• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpine white swirls/scratches removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpine white swirls/scratches removal

Hello to all

Before moving to Texas my BMW had a scratch free, mint condition paint finish and was lathered with only the best meguiars care. When i arrived to Texas my car was usually washed by the automatic car washing machines and no tender loving care. I have since moved to a house with a garage and looking at the paint it has light swirls/scratches. The cars paint has not been treated for over 2 years and i want to restore it to the swirl free condition it was in.

I have a Meguiars DA G100 and purchased the following products

Meguiars Ultimate Compound
    Meguiars Ultimate Polish
    Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax
    Meguiars Mirror Glaze Hi-tech yellow wax
    Meguiars Wash Plus

i was considering this plan of action

1- wash with Wash Plus
    2- clay bar the paint
    3- apply Ultimate compound
    4- apply Ultimate Polish
    5- apply a light coat of Hi-tech yellow
    6- finishing off with Ultimate Liquid wax

how does this sound? Would the Ultimate compound be overkill or adequate? I had briefly considered wet sanding but i have never done this and don

Re: Alpine white swirls/scratches removal

Before you jump to compound, try just polish in a test spot first. If it solves the swirls, then you're good to go. Like you said, don't overkill if you don't have to.

Comment

Agree with a test spot using ultimate polish. Also Ultimate Wax is a sealant and if you choose to layer then a sealant always goes down first before a wax. I would just put ultimate wax and then call it a day.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
        Agree with a test spot using ultimate polish. Also Ultimate Wax is a sealant and if you choose to layer then a sealant always goes down first before a wax. I would just put ultimate wax and then call it a day.
        Thanks for your reply. Is Ultimate Compound more aggressive than M205? I am going to use ULtimate Polish on a test area on a fender to see what happens and try UC if the polish does not do the job.

I will never again take my car to any type of machine car wash. Better off leaving it dirty until i can hand wash it

I noticed the scratches not long ago as i had my garage door open and with the sunlight i looked at the fender at somewhat of a side angle and almost had a heart attack!!!

I will be doing some paint correction this week and will report what happens.

Regards,
        Mark

Comment

Yes, Ultimate Compound is definitely more aggressive than M205. M205 is a cleaner polish similar to Ultimate Polish, but I am not sure between those two which would be the more aggressive. Nick, Mike, or even Guz might be able to answer the UP vs M205 question of which of them would be more aggressive.

Comment

My paint has light scratches, nothing major. As you know its tough to plainly see scratches on white paint unless you move lighting around and see the defects. I just washed/clayed the car and will spray some clean water/dry before starting the paint correction test to see what route i will take.

My goal is to restore that bright reflective glow and scratch free finish it once had

Comment

This will give you an idea of the aggressiveness of products. UP would be next to M205.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...t-surprise-you!
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                This will give you an idea of the aggressiveness of products. UP would be next to M205.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...t-surprise-you!
                That sums it up very well. Lets see what Ultimate Polish can do with the scratches on the front fender test area tomorrow

Comment

In regards to Ultimate Liquid Wax, it has the sealant function like M21 synthetic sealant?

Comment

The last time i treated the paint, i used M21 synthetic sealant and two coats of NXT Generation Tech Wax. I loved the results. Does the Ultimate Wax work like the M21/NXT Wax in one product or would i be able to use M21 and then apply Ultimate Wax?

Comment

M21, NXT and UW are all sealants. M21 and NXT are roughly the same product. No need to use them together. Pick one or the other of these products.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Here is a pic

Comment

https://pixady.com/file/directDownload/file-G11MHuToZycMPZXBAv2BMXNAJ

Comment

well after compounding/polishing and applying Ultimate Wax, i snapped a picture as best as i could to show the results. I managed to remove the swirls and scratches and reallylove the glowing shine it has now. Once my newly painted bumpers and lower headlighr moulding (removed) are sanded, i will apply the compound/polish/wax process and give the entire car a wash and 1 more light coating of Ultimate Wax. Feels smooth like butter and very bright !!

Thanks Mecuiars for such great products

Regards
                            Mark

Comment

Guys - Meguiars has now made it easy....all depending on the extent of the scratches of course.
                              1) M105 with DA buffer
                              2) M205 with or without DA buffer
                              3) M305 by hand.

Omigosh, my beautiful "dark beauty" Porsche 981 boxster in rare basalt black metallic....just came up so beautifully....after the M305 application.
                              All swirl marks were finally gone.
                              There is no where I go with this car where there isn't a compliment....everyone asks "what car is this ?". Indeed, it is quite a beauty.
                              I'll post a picture later...
                              2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');