• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference in polishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in polishes

What exactly is the difference in the polishes?
    Besides the M03 is a rotary applied polish and M81 is a hand polish. And price of course.

Talking M03, M05, M07, M81 and DC#2.

Looking to pick up some polish before this weekend or order it soon with my other stuff I have to have. (ADDICTED NOW!)

Is there any difference in looks between them?

Is any one or all for a specific purpose?

Price is not an object as long as it looks good so throw that out and I have a rotary and DA so any application is in.

You know I thought I wrote an article about this somewhere but when blonzz asked this same question, I was unable to find it?

Because of the confusion over these products and the frequency in which these questions come up, I will write an article.

That said, what are you working on and what do you want to accomplish and how will you be applying the polish?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

My wife's car is first in line. It's a black 2003 Saturn Vue.

The finish is full of etchings (water,bugs, and birds) and it was a little neglected last year and has lost some luster. I tried some M80 with the DA and it seemed to improve it quite a bit but I need to go a little more aggressive and would like to add some polish before I apply an LSP. I'm undecided on that but I have #16,NXT,#20, and #21!

Who's addicted?!

How I apply the polish is up to which one I buy. As I said I have both machines but I would be more than willing to do it by hand but so far I have noticed that application and removal appears better looking with one of the machines!

So here are my plans:
      wash
      clay
      #83 with rotary and 8006
      #80 with DA and 8006
      polish with 9006 and ? or by hand
      LSP with DA and 9006
      Remove LSP with DA and bonnet

Comment

Originally posted by RLdetail

So here are my plans:
        wash
        clay
        #83 with rotary and 8006
        #80 with DA and 8006
        polish with 9006 and ? or by hand
        LSP with DA and 9006
        Remove LSP with DA and bonnet
        As a general rule, if you can remove the defects suing the dual action polisher instead of the rotary buffer, that would be my option.

Try doing a test spot using all of the below products in one area, about the size of a microfiber polishing cloth and then inspect your results, if they look good, then duplicate this over the entire finish, if they don't, then substitute the rotary buffer for the first step

#83/W-8006/DA
        #80/W-8006/DA
        Deep Crystal Polish, #81 Hand Polish, #7 Show Car Glaze/W-8006/DA
        LSP/W-9006/DA
        W-7006/Bonnet/DA to remove wax

The M80 is so rich in polishing oils you really don't need to do the third step, but... if your addicted.... then go for it!
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

So are you recommending the #7 with a W-8006 instead of a W-9006?

I'm leaning towards #7 or DC polish as I can get these locally but the #81 might be hard to get by saturday morning.

I might get some #26 to top it off. I'm going to use #21 and NXT before the snow flies and hope this combo holds up well through the winter.

I'll try out #83 with the DA first but I think it will take the rotary to remove the etching as it's pretty bad. Wish the camera would pick them up but it doesn't.

Comment

Here is a link that may help...

Cheers!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Question: I remember reading from other forum topics regarding polishes that #7 Show Car Glaze was to be applied by "hand only" even though the label says otherwise. Is that still true? And if you could use a DA, a 8006 pad is preferred over a 9006 finishing pad? I hope to hear your comments and experiences with #7. Thanks again.
              - "IF I HAD MORE HANDS, I WOULD GIVE YOU FOUR THUMBS DOWN"

Comment

I tried a search twice so I didn't repeat an older post and behold I didn't find what you linked to !!!

It did help, but it also made me think about #5 now. It gets humid here quite a bit during the summer and it might work better.

How much is it to buy one of everything from Meguiars?

I'm going to try to take more pictures of the hood to see if I can get the etchings to show up. I have a 5MP camera and it should be able to get them. I'll just have to try harder I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Weekend Detailer
                  Question: I remember reading from other forum topics regarding polishes that #7 Show Car Glaze was to be applied by "hand only" even though the label says otherwise. Is that still true? And if you could use a DA, a 8006 pad is preferred over a 9006 finishing pad? I hope to hear your comments and experiences with #7. Thanks again.
                  Not trying to answer for Mike, but I've never done that well applying a pure polish with a PC either. But some have had success with it.

I think some of Meguiar's polishes don't react too well to the friction that is generated by the PC.

If you want to apply a polish by a PC, then I would turn the speed down to about 2 or 3, and don't dwell too long in one spot.

Who knows? But you might do well with it.
                  r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by RLdetail
                    So are you recommending the #7 with a W-8006 instead of a W-9006?
                    Yes.

Pure polishes like the #7 and The DC2 are pretty rich and the W-9006 is pretty soft, together on a dual action polisher I find it to be kind of gummy. You can try it if you like, but the W-8006 is pretty much a great general purpose pad as well as the work-horse of the industry.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Weekend Detailer
                      Question: I remember reading from other forum topics regarding polishes that #7 Show Car Glaze was to be applied by "hand only" even though the label says otherwise. Is that still true?
                      I'll have to check my #7 bottle collection to see what the labels have said over the last 80 years or so, but today's formula/label says it can be applied by hand, dual action polisher or orbital polisher. The idea being something slow and gentle not Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher set on the 5.0 setting.

And if you could use a DA, a 8006 pad is preferred over a 9006 finishing pad? I hope to hear your comments and experiences with #7. Thanks again.
                      See my comment above.

There are no concrete rules that you have to obey, there are no Wax Police, at least not yet. You can try the #7 with the W-9006 pad and it will work, just keep in mind that these polishes are very rich and oily and the W-9006 is very soft and gushy, and sometimes having a foam pad with a little more body to it works better for a product like a pure polish.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

#3/#5/#7 all work fine for me by PC or by hand, but yeah, you gotta adjust the technique a little when using the PC. Naturally enough, the #3 is the most forgiving when it comes to machine use, it's pretty hard to "overwork" it.

I've found all three to truly be the "pure polishes" that Meguiar's says they are; any "cut" comes from the application media (terry, aggressive foam), not the products themselves. They all act functionally nonabrasive for me, even on very soft lacquer.

And I too greatly prefer using the above products with a polishing pad as opposed to a finishing pad. A (soft) polishing pad won't contribute any "cut" in and of itself that might cause problems and the finishing pads always load up for me with the same results that Mike mentioned.
                        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

***Bump***
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');